Ewwwwww! Ge-ross!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Ravishaw, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    You know chickens are eating/pooping machines.

Chicken poo output = 3*food weight consumed + 1/8 water consumed

I swear these things poo a lot.

This morning I threw a handful of my daughters scrambled eggs out the back door (budget prevents starter feed for a bit).

Sure enough, the pullets came running. By the way is anyone else mesmerized by the action of a chicken running? How do they keep themselves off the ground. Heads down, sometimes wings spread... they look SO FUNNY!

All twelve scrambled the 30 or so yards to where the eggs were sitting on our back porch. When they arrived, all twelve of them decided they were carrying too much weight and couldn't devour the scrambled eggs in comfort unless they dropped some weight. Twelve little hens decided to POO right there in front of my sliding glass door.

And poo they went.

Have you ever had an empty bottle of mustard? You squeeze it to make some obnoxious sounds?

When we stopped laughing I got the hose and sprayed off the porch.

My question is, that's normal, right? Not all their little droppings sound like that, just once in a while.

2. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    LOL welcome to the world of HOT WEATHER POOP! I assume the weather has been warm where you are? My girls have "ploppy" liquidy poop during the hot days, it helps them stay cool. I am VERY familiar with spraying the patio/porch too because my 15 week old pullets loooove laying on the concrete and that = chicken poop lol.

3. AJ666

AJ666 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    La Crosse, WI
    [​IMG] That is hilarious [​IMG]

4. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] *falls over laughing* [​IMG]

5. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

You should get ducks... if you think chicken body function noises are interesting...try a duck.

[​IMG]

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Oh, yesss! Now that my free ranging chickens have found the way to the front yard, and over to my land-lady's yard (luckily SHE doesn't mind!), they sometimes have some distance to go to get ... somewhere else. Sometimes it's just because they've discovered they're all alone - their companions wandered off whilst they were industriously scratching or scarfing down bugs - or they hear Carl the rooster call, or some other supremely chicken reason for the dash from here to there.

I love the serpentine movement when their necks are stretched out, with beaks pointing to the destination. But the funniest run is when they have their tails and heads up, and they trot, with that Left Right Left Right LeftRightLeftRight faster, faster! bounce. Chicken on a mission!

7. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Quote:I agree, mine sure makes some disturbing sounds....with her behind.

8. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    ok true story:

I was living in Florida for a spell, and in Miami they have ducks with weird growths on their heads. They don't have waddles like chickens... I call them Cuban ducks because they just look foreign (call me a profiler but w/e).

My buddy and I were waiting for someone to get home at a lakeside apartment complex when along come a group of these cuban ducks. It was a little gated patio entrance to each individual apartment so the sauntered in looking for stray snacks. I thought it would be fun to grab the head duck as he looked like he was intimidating his lady ducks with his honking and chest bumping. So I swiftly grabbed his duck body and held him tight.

He was having NONE of that. He throttled me with his closed bill, and as soon as he let out a piercing SHRIEKING honk all the female ducks started rampaging in circles. They didn't just run out, they ran in circles... And they started coating every square inch with thick white and green duck poo! As they would run and splash in each indiscriminetly dropped puddle the puddles grew in size and strength; to the point my buddy and I could scarcely breathe.

I tried to calm the duck down but he only honked louder, and his girls responded by jumping on furniture with their dirty feet, and pooing all the more. I was a bit taken back and so I let him go. They bolted at that point but my buddy and I were left in a front yard COATED with stinky duck poo.

I panicked, grabbed the garden hose and just sprayed off everything... You name it, windows, plants, furniture, everything... and just finished as our friend got home.

9. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Try geese--the expression "Faster than corn through a goose." will have real meaning for you.

10. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    [​IMG] All this reminds me of when my muscovy hen a few years ago started sitting for the first time. She wouldn't get off the nest except once a day that I seen anyway. I did have a water dish near the nest and gave her food while she nested. She left the nest for a bit and I knew they hold their poo when nesting and she walked over by me and I had to get out of the way cause she let it all go. Never seen so much bird poo come out of one bird. It stinked so badly that I had to leave the area. Also there was another time a friend brought his kids over to see the birds. They love to sit on this concrete area and poo. Well the guys son ran along and fell face first into it and it had rained earlier so it was very runny. I felt bad for him. My FIL said his dad use to say "Goose pasture" instead of saying a curse word.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by