Ex barn chickens

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 24, 2014
Just got 3 ex barn chickens. Poor things! Not much feathers but very friendly and FREE now! Made friends already with the residential plump chickens.
How long does it take till the feathers regrow? I am in the Southern Hemisphere , so it should be summer (still waiting haha) soon.
Tks for your advise. :)

Welcome to Backyard Chickens!

You should notice the quills of the feathers growing within a week or two at the most. Good luck with your new chickens.
smile.png

I would also like to add that in the future, I would isolate the new ones for at least a month before introducing them to your flock. Hopefully they do not have any diseases they can pass to your existing chickens. I made a "hotel coop". It is not as big or nice as the others coop, but it gives me a chance to make sure the new ones are healthy.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! X2 with Outpost I would have quarantined them first just to be sure.

Lovely to hear you have rescued them they do have a very rough life. Wishing you the very best of luck with them in the future. Hope you enjoy BYC :frow

Thanks. Yes I know that's risky to let them merge so quickly. I dose them up with lots of apple cider vinager, good healthy food and pumpkin seeds.Hope it will make them healthy and strong quickly, fingers X

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Not only is quarantining good for the spread of disease but introducing them together slowly allows for the pecking order to be worked out a bit. Throwing new birds into an existing flock can cause a lot of aggression, blood and even death. The existing flock can even starve out the new birds by guarding the feeders. So in the future you might keep the new birds in a cage or fenced off area within the flock for about 3 or 4 weeks so everybody sees, nobody touches. Then you can mix them in when you see they have no contagious diseases and they get a long a bit better.

Good luck with your flock and we do welcome you to our flock!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens are your ex-barn chickens?

Back
Top Bottom