1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ex-battery hen doesn't smell so fresh

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SCSS, Feb 10, 2013.

1. SCSS

SCSS New Egg

Feb 3, 2013
    Hi-I'm new so bear with me! I have three farm raised hens and yesterday we picked up two ex-battery free range rescue hens from BHWT. They are very sweet, seem healthy (apart from pale combs and skinny) and are much more friendly than my non rescue hens! It's only their first day but I noticed they don't smell very nice. At all. In fact they pong. Is there something I should do, will it fade? Their eyes and noses are clear, they don't seem unwell, and ai am taking precautions treating the coop for red mite anyway.

Thanks! Shannon

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  2. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    The smell goes away eventually, to be honest i quite like the smell of them! :p

3. kdwag

kdwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Northwest Ohio
    what are ex-battery hens?

4. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    Hens bred for eggs, used in factory farming. They are crammed in tiny wire cages then are sent to slaughter at 18 month old when they are considered as "spent". Some are lucky enough to be rescued though.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. kdwag

kdwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Northwest Ohio
    Oh my gosh, are they missing their feathers? That is horrible.

6. AlicesSilkies

AlicesSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow!! Great Job rescuing them, i rescued 3 some years ago and i totally understand what you mean about them being more friendly than the others, you will enjoy them so much!! [​IMG]

7. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    Yeah they are.

8. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    the smell goes away, thanks for rescuing them!!

I would bathe them, dust them with DE or woodash, and quarantine them for awhile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by