1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ex-Battery Hens or Hybrids??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tomfieldenloveshichickens, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Tomfieldenloveshichickens

Tomfieldenloveshichickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Somerset, England
    I am thinking of adding new hens to my coop and i have come to two options.
    Battery Hens or Hybrids
    The hybrids would be 2 years old and free or the battery hens which will also be free. I want some eggs until my other chickens start laying.
    Please can i have lots of comments

Thank you so much

2. blue creek chicken man

blue creek chicken man Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2010
    Billings
    the batteries will probably be entering molt when you get them the hybrids will most likely need to molt also

3. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I had some old layers and they layed really well for about a year after I got them.

4. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    i would just wait i have old xbattery hens and out of 15 i dont get any eggs from them

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    What would the hybrids be a mix of?

At 2 years old, they may well be going into a moult or slowing down on egg laying a bit. And any time you move chickens you can expect a gap in their laying habits until they adjust. This time of year usually causes a slowdown in laying as well, since the days get very short.

In your other thread about this you said the battery hens were cheap but for sale - are they going to give them to you now? That would be cool, just be aware of the problems that I posted in your other thread.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5245183#p5245183

How old are your current chickens? Maybe they'll start soon? [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  6. Tomfieldenloveshichickens

Nov 9, 2010
    Somerset, England
    Quote:The Hybrids are Welsh Summers and bluebells. There are also warrens and Marans for free. The hybrids will be 1 year and 8 months

My current chickens are RIR and are 26 weeks with no eggs URRGH

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  7. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    According to PP mag hybrids are good performers. A younger hen would be better not a two year old. I'd go closer to one year. As for Marans they are not bad layers for me and take confinement well if the weather makes it necessary.

You don't mention how old your other birds are and how close they are to laying.

Hope all goes well

Rancher

8. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:The Hybrids are Welsh Summers and bluebells. There are also warrens and Marans for free. They will be 1 year and 8 months

Not familiar with Warrens, but at that price I'd take them all!

Well, no, not unless I could do a proper quarantine, but WOW! What a tough decision you have there. The UK has so many beautiful birds that we can't get here. Please take pics once you decide and get them home.

9. Tomfieldenloveshichickens

Nov 9, 2010
    Somerset, England
    My current birds are RIR and are 26 weeks
    they have not laid an egg yet and it is really frustrating. I feed them layers pellets and oyster shells. Did some DIY to give them a better home and give them a warm straw bed. There are only five of them. Any clue when they might start laying. Their combs and waddles are a ok size. Do they have to be big for them to be ready to lay. No squatting yet or egg song. Please can people comment so i can see how long i need to wait.

10. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    They should start "soon", no telling really. I have had some wait as late as 32 weeks, drove me crazy. Watch for the face and head in general to turn brighter red. Also, make sure they aren't laying somewhere hidden and that no predators are stealing eggs.

I am [​IMG] that you will have lovely, fresh eggs soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by