Ex Broody still not laying-

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Teya, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Teya

Teya Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2014
    HI there I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice- I'm a relatively new chicken mama. We have four pullets- my java started laying at 18 weeks- she layed for about a month and then went broody- I was finally able to break her of it after about two weeks- she lost a little weight, but she seems fine. She's out and about with the other girls now, but it's been almost two weeks and she's still not laying. Is this normal? She's also really cranky with me- I guess she didn't like constantly being forced out of the nesting box- she used to always come right over to me and loved being held but now she just squawks and flies free- I'm going to have to rebuild some trust I think- but I'm really concerned about the eggs- when will they return?
    Thanks in advance!
    Teya

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    When a hen goes broody and she's not immediately broken, it may run it's course. In other words, it's 3 weeks to hatch eggs and then 2 or 3 months to raise chicks. They'll lay after that. Autumn/winter doesn't give enough day length to really stimulate onset of lay.

3. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    Broodiness is controlled by hormones. Even though you broke up her broody spell it will take awhile for her hormones to go back to unbroody levels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by