1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ex carport coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Retvi, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Retvi

Retvi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    I have my seven hens in what used to be a covered carport. (Their outdoor run will be done this spring.) The problem is that it has a dirt floor. So, the walls, 'furniture', and their water are always COVERED in dirt! I mean, the light colored walls are brown! What would be the best way to have the floor so this won't happen? Cement? Some sort of plant?

2. Cluky

Cluky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    Sand? I covered my coop floor with sand, on top of cement. And during winter "insulated' with straw. I love that setup.

3. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    ===============================
    River sand,not playgrund sand. River sand is cheaper and doesn't have as much silica in it.
    Best,
    Karen

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

When I bought my house/property in April, 2011, there was one of those carports (laughingly called a garage in the realty description) - the property inspection report recommended either major repairs or simple demolition.

It's been transmorgrified into my 20 X 17 coop. A front wall was built with a people door; Dutch style. Two large, wide ladder roosts were built and installed, on sets of hinges so I can pull them up to clean under them, if I so desire.

The floor is dirt, although there is a solid concrete foundation under the three wall sides. The front wall is built on buried railroad ties. My contractor ran (better) electricity and water to the coop. He also installed the automatic chicken pop door I purchased. He thought it was pretty clever.

First, I hang two large, metal feeders from the rafters on chains or wire cable. All the way down to six inches off the floor for the bantams. I have two other PVC feeders I built set in corners so there's a source of feed for lower ranking birds which bossy hens might keep from a favored feeder.

The auto-waterer is set on a board placed across two plastic milk crates into the corner nearest the Dutch door. There's a two-by-four on the floor making a barrier for the deep litter which is all over the rest of the coop.

Deep litter methods work best on dirt floors. My litter is now six inches deep in most places; it's time for me to add a few bales of pine shavings.

5. schmism

schmism Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    Peoria IL
    you can pack 1/4" minus gravel also known as chat. this will pack down hard when wetted. Another option is AG lime which will also pack down hard when wetted. Both are tradtional natural floorings for earth floor barns.

6. Retvi

Retvi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    Awesome! Thanks for the ideas. Pretty soon, you'll be able to tell that the walls are aqua, not brown! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by