Ex- Cyclone Oswald soaked chickens v snake

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ra ra, Jan 25, 2013.

1. ra ra

ra ra Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2013
    Hi, need advice. We in Queensland are having a drenching blowing rain. I found the chickens hiding under the frangipani tree, looking like cats do when they get wet. They will stay out in a normal rain but this weather is tropical heavy rain and wind. I bribed them back into their covered coop where they clucked at me in confusion. I gave them more feed and put down dry hay. My worry is there are snakes about and a 6 ft python ate one this morning just down the road from me. So, am I doing the wrong thing by getting them our of the rain but possibly making them sitting targets if another snake is about? I've already had 2 snakes this summer in the coop but fought them off, Snakes still alive somewhere but the snake removalist did take them off several ks away.
    Leave them in the coop to stay dry or let them out in the rain???? Help!

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I doubt that they will rust. If the coop is not safe, it is time to make it so. Smaller mesh wire such as 1/2" hardware cloth would keep out all but the smallest snakes.

Chickens will stay out in incredible rain here. I see them sometimes head to the coop and hang out underneath. I guess they sometimes have had enough.

Chris

3. ra ra

ra ra Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2013
    Thanks for that info. I thought the same thing re the smaller wire, and have started putting it around the coop but this weather stopped everything for the time being. They are settled today in the fenced coop which has a inside "bedroom" with a roost and door, and I think quite safe. Appreciate the quick response. Maura

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by