Exactly how hard are call duck eggs to hatch?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Smartie_Pants, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I love the look of the little guys, but I'm not sure it would be easy to get some around here. I could more easily by hatching eggs, but I hear they are hard to hatch. How hard? Say you bought 6 eggs, what is an average/estimate of how many would hatch? Can they be incubated with regular duck eggs?

Also, if I either bought or hatched babies, would they be fine with regular ducks? I have some Blue Swedish and I really want to get a few silver appleyard.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I gave up trying to hatch them a long time ago. I let the hens set and the mamas have much better luck with it. I wouldn't want my calls in with normal size ducks. I think they'd be easily injured or klled by any large size male who decides to breed them.

3. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Well, I certainly wouldn't want that to happen! Maybe I'll just stick to regular sized ducks and admire calls from afar.

4. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    I set about 40 eggs and got 2 ducks. It is very stressful too.

5. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    In an incuabator I usually have 60%-70% hatch but under a mama duck - it is 90% hatch. I also turn by hand and mist and cool the eggs. It's a lot of work and then not all the eggs hatch! I've been lucky and had a very broody call who does most of the work.

6. runamuck

runamuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern michigan
    Extremely tough...... last yr I set 100 or so eggs and got 25 hatching. Now my ladies... did around 95% hatch. I now got a new incubatior and just hatched some shipped call eggs and got 50% hatch. this incubator is Awesome I put fertile eggs in I get chicks... Simple as that.

7. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    What kind of incubator did you get?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by