Excel Egg Tracker

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Josie, May 20, 2008.

1. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I have been working on a excel workbook to keep track of my eggs and chicken related expenses.

[​IMG]

What do you think?
    What would make this better?

2. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Quote:Answer: If you shared the spreadsheet it would make it better. I never thought of using it to track expenses....what if I find out exactly how much each precious egg cost me....is it really something I want to know? LOL

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Yeah, no fair, you can't post something like this and not share!!!!! LOL!!! Lord, I don't think I even want to know how bad we're in the hole each week. UGH!

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Looks good!

Just type in what you want for each cell, and use simple commands like "count" "sum" and then graph it all. Get's even more fun when you start making equations and using excel solver. The new excel sucks bad though...

Not sure how you are calculating cost per se there though. Everyone does it a bit different.

5. moms_pantry

moms_pantry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    I'm not sure I want to know what I spend. DH says that he is always buying chicken feed. He never mentions the corn that he puts in his deer feeder or his hog trap to feed the wild hogs. At least I sell some of the eggs. We haven't seen a hog in awhile.

6. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    LOL, thanks silkiechicken, I know how to make the spreadsheet, I just feel lazy. I am currently tracking the 6th graders who will be attending 6th grade outdoor school in a couple of weeks and teaching my computer class how to do the same thing. I may show this real life application to them tomorrow! Hopefully someday, one of them will come back and tell me "remember when you had us make that spreadsheet in Excel? Now I am a millionaire and I want to share..."
    A teacher can dream!....

7. Josie

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    silkiechicken - I figured the price based on my local prices. The cheapest you can get conventional eggs around here is $1.99 on sale, free range starts at $3, so I used the price of $2.50 per dozen.
    It would be fairly easy to change the price based on what the egg prices are.

8. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    what a great idea to track with excel!

9. Josie

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    What would be the best way to share?
    Ideally, I would like to just have a link on my blog that people could download for free.

10. me&thegals

me&thegals Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Wisconsin
    That would be completely wonderful! This is exactly what I'm looking for.

Also, does anyone have a good way of tracking sales, especially when some customers are pre-pay, some post-pay, and some pay as they go? Thanks in advance [​IMG]

edited for spelling!

Last edited: May 20, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by