Excesive muscle size in waterfowl,how to obtain

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by razvanM, Sep 26, 2012.

1. razvanM

razvanM Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    I am raising waterfowl for meat,and I am just curios is there ant way I can imporove muscle size in my birds ? I heard the belgian blue cattle have a gene that is not working and this allows the muscle to grow excesivly.I am not able to do this by sience like in belgian blue case,all I can do isselect some birds and create them perfect breeding conditions,and hope the babies will be top quality.I really need help in getting huge goslings/duckling from regular muscovy ducks.

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    All you can do is to save your birds with the largest breasts and use only those birds for breeding.

Since I suspect that commercial duck farms have been trying for decades, it is going to be slow going. I suspect that the giant breasts on Cornish Cross chickens was a genetic mutation at some point in the past and someone was clever enough to harness it.

Belgian Blue cattle were not created by science. There are several breeds of double muscled cattle and those were used with selective breeding, not genetic manipulation in a test tube. In Europe, cattle are pampered in barns and closely watched and cared for. Cattle that would have never survived in the USA could be saved for breeding. The story goes that USA breeders of Charolais cattle asked how the European counterparts prevented sunburned eyes which lead to eye cancer. The Europeans, puzzled that there was any problem with eyes, answered that they just kept the cattle inside the barns.

3. Oregon Blues

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Incidentally, you can do something with selective breeding. See my avatar? Notice the prominent breast? That is a 100% European goose of a breed that is at least 2 centuries old. They have been bred for the table all that time. I've seen a dressed Norwegian Pomeranian goose that looked like a turkey.

4. cskotek

cskotek Chillin' With My Peeps

Holly Crap!!!!

5. Johnson5326

Johnson5326 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    Thank you for sharing that, Oregon Blues. I saw a documentary on the Perdue chickens and the cattle in the US last year or the beginning of this year and have not looked at the meat in the grocery store the same way since. Its one reason I got the ducks in the 1st place. When we sell our house and move back home where I own 400 acres we'll raise most or all of our own meat and vegetables. We always had a huge garden when I was growing up and ate more deer meat than anything else because there was barely any wasted. We ate the good meat, trained the hunting dogs with the legs and tails, and let them eat the rest. Our cattle should not be fed corn and kept where there's no grass. Chickens should be able to walk more than a few steps without collapsing. Breeding to make bigger animals is one thing. But pumping them full of sterroids and whatever else they're getting is not good for them or us.

RazvanM, I hope you find the bigger breasted stock and get the best meat possible without having to resort to unnatural experiments. But like Oregon Blues stated, people have been doing this for centuries.

6. Oregon Blues

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    razvanm, if Muscovy is what you want, I suggest that you start with the giant French White Muscovvy. That strain has been bred for meat production, so you would get a head start on your project.

Johnson, nobody is giving steroids to the meat animals in this country. My opinion is that home raised meat is best, but there are enough good reasons without making up fictional reasons.

7. razvanM

Sep 14, 2012
    Well,I am not able to find those,but I will try to search for them.I only managed to find a local pied spotted muscovy duck breed that females are like laying hen size and males like a small goose(incredibly large,around 3.5-4.5 kgs of meat on them).So the female-male diference is huge.Are they a good start ?they will arive to my farm next week,I kant wait for them.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  8. Johnson5326

Johnson5326 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    Can't find the video I watched but here's one that's the downside of the industry here. I love hearing the stories on here knowing the animals are free range or in much better conditions than the ones we buy from the grocery store. Good luck RazvanM! Hope your flock is awesome (and tasty) [​IMG]

http://www.chickenindustry.com/cfi/videogallery/

9. razvanM

Sep 14, 2012
    well in my region,in each house are poultry,and all a free range,the same with me,I have a huge garden and few large yards around my house and all my animals are free range ! I really like raising all natural poultry and rabbits,they are feed only with corn,wheat and grass,and have a lot of space to free range.So they are very healthy,natural birds.Thank you evreyone for all the info and I simply cant wait my duck to arive and let them free in the garden !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by