1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Excess Calcium?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Zackman23434, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Zackman23434

Zackman23434 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2015
    I have 11 pullets 7 RIR and 4 Deleware. They are 22 1/2 weeks old. I started getting eggs last Tuesday. I got 1 that day, none on Wenesday, and have gotten 1 everyday since last Thursday all the way to today(Monday) where I got 3. All the eggs have been laid in the nest boxes and have been hard with no blood issues or shell issues to speak of. However, yesterday I noticed an egg that was a bit rough like sand paper on one side in particular. I researched and read it could be excess calcium. Today one of my three eggs was covered in white speckles and didn't have a sand paper feel to it but didn't feel smooth like the other two collected. From what I understand this could also be a sign of excess calcium.
    I feed Purina Flock Raiser 20% protein, oyster shell free choice, scratch grains every now and then maybe 3-4 times a week a few tosses. They get out of the run everyday to eat grass and bugs in a controlled, fenced in 3/4 acres of a 4 1/2 acre lot. I understand new layers will have problems sometimes at the beginning. But this is a bit different then what would be considered common new layer issues from what I have read. If what I am feeding causes excess calcium; then how in the world to people commonly give layer feed, free choice oyster shell, and sometimes even egg shells and not have issues?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I really wouldn't worry. You are feeding appropriately.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by