Excess Drake what do I do??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Quailpower, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Quailpower

Quailpower Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2010
    Aspatria, Cumbria
    Ok so this is going to sound odd, I've ended up with two more drakes than I needed, I only became aware of this when one tried rape the chickens. Up until now I thought they were girls because I bought them fully fledged and were told they were girls. Now im thinking they were only just in their full feathers and not matured fully.

So, I can deal with one drake - but two is just too much for my hens and ducks and buying more females is out of the question

Eating him is also out of the question.

I cant see anywhere taking in a drake

[​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Craigslist? A poster at your local feed stores? An ad in your local paper? I, personally, eat my excess animals. More thrifty that way.

3. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    "Eating him out of question" ?

So let anybody else eat him.

Good Lord made ducks and other birds of meat for us to eat.[​IMG]

4. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    What breed?

5. Quailpower

Quailpower Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2010
    Aspatria, Cumbria
    I know it sounds soft but i can never eat the animals i raise. I have ducks and chooks for eggs alone, not the meat

I was wondering if any one knew about "fixing" ducks? I know it can be done to chickens so i assume it can be done to ducks. I could probably keep them as long as they werent trying to hump my chooks

Ones a peking, and ones a runner x. Was sold as a runner but it sits like a regular duck, just a bit taller haha

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  6. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Maybe post his pic. at the feed store, or a local store that has lots of ppl. coming in that might see it.....perhaps talk to some co workers or other farmers in the area if you know them.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  7. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I dont have any advice, but i feel your pain. I have two extra drakes. Two muscovies and one runner-cross. The runner is too hormonal, and chases my chickens non-stop. I have five female ducks.
    The one male muscovy doesnt bother a soul and all the females flock to him. The other male just began beating the sweet one up, randomly. He also hangs out with the runner. They are gangsta-ducks.
    I have no idea what to do with my males. I cant get more females, and keeping them seperate is pretty much impossible because I don't have the space.

I most definitely couldnt eat them. They are pets, not my food. (Doesnt bother me that others eat their excess, its just not for me.)

So, I guess I am saying, "I am here for moral support. I get it."

8. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    They are gangsta-ducks.

You sure it ain't city living that's got them all gangsta like?
    (i know you live outside detroit, i met you at chickenstock in lansing).

don't let any teen ducks in there, could be wanting them to join up!
    [​IMG]

9. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    Quote:Is the 'fixing' you're talking about is called caponizing? From what I understand, a male bird is fully awake when you cut into him and remove testicles. I find it horridly inhumane no matter the circumstances, if that is truely how the procedure is done. Or maybe I'm just unaware of a vet procedure?

I also eat my extras. I'd rather butcher an animal that I know I raised and cared for humanely it's entire live. I also enjoy knowing that the animal was humanely put down and then respectfully put to good use.

10. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Quote:

You sure it ain't city living that's got them all gangsta like?
    (i know you live outside detroit, i met you at chickenstock in lansing).

don't let any teen ducks in there, could be wanting them to join up!
    [​IMG]

haha! Could be all the gun fire around my block lately thats got them gangsta like! hahahaha
    Thats probably why they have started pickin' on Baby, because he doesn't want to be like them! [​IMG]

Haha, thanks for the morning laugh! Its a great way to start out a day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by