excessive hens fighting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lmarie, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Lmarie

Lmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Way Over Yonder, GA
    How do you keep hens from fighting amongest themselves? I have a gamehen/rir fighting with my Wyandotte all the time. How can I discorage this??
    ARG! [​IMG]
    Lauren

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Do they get to free range?

3. Lmarie

Jan 3, 2009
    Way Over Yonder, GA
    after I get home they are, but other than that, they have a good sized run.

4. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

they may just be bored... give them more space or hang a cabbage up for them to peck at...

5. Chiiiiiiiiiickens!

Chiiiiiiiiiickens! Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2008
    Southern New York
    Hi there, Do they free range, or are they cooped up? When ours are ranging, they don't fuss with each other, but with the cold weather, they get on each other's nerves and pick on one another. We try to provide plenty of entertainment in the way of hanging food (greens, corn cobs) and fresh straw bales every few weeks, which they seem to love tearing apart and scratching in. We throw down all manner of unusual foods for them like leftover pasta, bread, hard-boiled eggs... They love it and they seem not to fight when they have novelties to amuse them! Do your chickens have enough space?

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I think game hens just love to fight.... just me, but that's what I notice when I was a kid.

7. Lmarie

Jan 3, 2009
    Way Over Yonder, GA
    I think she likes to fight too... she has that fightin' look to her [​IMG]
    Nice amount of room 8x14ft run with attatched coop. Just the 2 of them in there.

8. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Could they possibly be reworking their pecking order?

I'm asking this because our smallest EE hen is the top lady in our flock and I've lost count of how many times I've seen the lower hens and pullets challenging her only to watch her give the the smack-down.

I'd feel sorry for her being so small but her huge attitude more than makes up for her lack of size. [​IMG]

Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by