excessive hens fighting?

Lmarie

Songster
11 Years
Jan 3, 2009
Way Over Yonder, GA
How do you keep hens from fighting amongest themselves? I have a gamehen/rir fighting with my Wyandotte all the time. How can I discorage this??
ARG!
he.gif

Lauren

Hi there, Do they free range, or are they cooped up? When ours are ranging, they don't fuss with each other, but with the cold weather, they get on each other's nerves and pick on one another. We try to provide plenty of entertainment in the way of hanging food (greens, corn cobs) and fresh straw bales every few weeks, which they seem to love tearing apart and scratching in. We throw down all manner of unusual foods for them like leftover pasta, bread, hard-boiled eggs... They love it and they seem not to fight when they have novelties to amuse them! Do your chickens have enough space?

I think she likes to fight too... she has that fightin' look to her
wink.png

Nice amount of room 8x14ft run with attatched coop. Just the 2 of them in there.

Could they possibly be reworking their pecking order?

I'm asking this because our smallest EE hen is the top lady in our flock and I've lost count of how many times I've seen the lower hens and pullets challenging her only to watch her give the the smack-down.

I'd feel sorry for her being so small but her huge attitude more than makes up for her lack of size.
gig.gif

Dawn

Back
Top Bottom