Excessive thirst and diarrhea - Please help Daisy! Update

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chuckzoo, Jan 11, 2011.

1. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    1) What type of bird , BR age 22 Months and weight.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Daisy has just started to regrow her feathers after a heavy moult.
    Yesterday she was pooping water, drinking excessively and spitting up and eating very little.
    Hunched over with her eyes closed.
    She is a little better today eating better but still drinking large amounts of water and very watery poop.
    She was ruffling the feathers up on her back even though she is in the house now.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? About 3 days

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. She is limping slightly on her right foot, no sign of injury.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I don't know.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. 24% Gamebird/Showbird feed since she started moulting.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Very Watery
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Offered yogurt, mealworms and vitamins/ electrotyes in her water.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Treat myself
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use They have a ~ 4x4 coop and a small run which opens into a large run. The small run has a wooden floor and is covered with straw and partly covered in clear vinyl to keep out wind. Straw in the coop too. Neither get wet.

I need to know what to give her to stop the diarrhea. Please if someone could help I would appreciate it.

The vet confirmed that Daisy doesn't not have parasites. Now he suggests a gram negative stain to look for bacteria. What would he be looking for that causes diarrhea?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  2. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Could you take a poop sample to a vet tomorrow and have them check for parasites and cocci? You might continue to put vitamins/electrolytes in her water. Has she been wormed? I don't know about the limping. Check her crop in the morning after taking away all food and water tonight. Make sure it isn't impacted.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  3. chuckzoo

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I don't see any evidence of worms in her poop and they don't free range much. I have checked her crop. I actually did crop massage on her yesterday and her crop was empty this morning.

Can I give her immoduim for the diarrhea, if so how much?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't know about the immodium but what about plain yogurt or kifer or butter milk, all three are really good for the gut, probiotics is what they are called. If her feet touch the ground at all she can have worms, also have you checked for lice, mites? I see you offered her yogurt did she eat any?

5. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Quote:I have no idea about immodium. I do know that chickens can have lots of parasites and you may not see them. Since this is something sudden, her crop is fine, and she's limping, could be she has a viral or bacterial issue. Hopefully, someone who knows more about your symptoms will soon answer. What color is the poop? Are there solid pieces of poop within the water?

I've been dealing with a watery poop issue for three months. My 10 month old pullet does not "act" sick, is eating fine, and really has no other symptoms. I've been working with a vet and Peter Brown to try and solve this.

Contact Dawg53 and see what he says. He has helped me.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    yes dawg53 is the one to talk to about internal parasites.

7. chuckzoo

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Thanks for the replys. I give yogurt and cultured buttermilk on a regular basis, about twice a week. The elecrolyte/vitamin solution also contains acidophilus.

At first the poop was just a large quanity of water she was spraying out but I got her to eat a little today. She had some of her crumbles and I mixed some in with her yogurt, but she preferred the dry crumble. She also ate about 25 meal worms and some of her grit.

The watery poop now has some food in it, its sort of medium greenish, and is watery too not lumpy(looks like liquidized cabbage). Sorry for the details! I was hoping that if she started to eat that would absorb some of the water, but she is still drinking a large quantity of water. Every time she eats she drinks some more water and spits some up.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:they can have a severe infestation and not have anything visible in the poop. When they have worms, what they poop that shows it is microscopic.

Lots of folks say that even a vet who won't see chickens will do a fecal for around $20. If you've never wormed them and they are around a year or older, I would try worming.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    spits up some, makes me think of a crop issue, I am sorry I wish I could tell you what this is and what to do about it, but I really think a fecal test would be my first stop. The limping has me concerned also, are they ever outside on grass dirt? maybe cocci? I looked up limping chicken and found out that even chickens over 2 years old can get Mareks, everything I saw was the left leg was causing the limping though,

10. chuckzoo

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    My initial reaction was that it was a crop issue too but things do seem to be passing through ok. I feel as if she is not getting sufficient nutrition because things seem to be passing though too quickly.

I will get a fecal sample and get it to the vet in the morning.

I feel her immune system is down because of the heavy molt and now the diarrhea is making things worse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by