1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Exchequer Leghorn...Boy or Girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GreenMum, Sep 3, 2013.

1. GreenMum

GreenMum Out Of The Brooder

I have five exchequer leghorns, all coming up on four months old. Two have minimal combs, three have significant combs but are still pinkish except the one who has a very red comb. I've read that these birds are known for early development of combs and wattles so I'm thinking that they may all be pullets. I have seen no evidence of saddle feathers and quite honestly the cape feathers look the same on the birds with the minimal combs as on the one with the very red comb. Both pics are the same bird, the second is the best I could get of the back side of her (please please please be a her). Thoughts?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Pictures of the rest of the "girls" will probably help us make up our minds.........

3. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    How old is he/she? If younger than eight weeks or so, I'd guess cockerel. Leghorns develop combs sooner than other slower maturing chickens, but a large comb like this one makes me think male. If he/she's older than eight weeks, you may have a female.

5. GreenMum

I'm on my way out to the coop shortly. I'll see what I can do about some more and better pics. Thanks for the input ;)

6. GreenMum

This one is coming up on four months, so.. (quick math here lol) 16 weeks. I am wondering because I thought I heard three cockerels trying out their cock-a-doodle-doo's a while back. The one was crowing every morning 13 times at sunrise and then periodically throughout the day. My neighbour will not tolerate roosters, so he unfortunately had to move on to higher pastures. The other one is most definitely a roo, but his crow is very quiet and infrequent. I'm going to grow him out a bit more. Come to think of it, there has been only one incident of quasi-crowing since that first boy was dispatched...hmmm...

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    You'd think you would be seeing some sort of male feathering by four months in a male leghorn, and by then some of the girls could be getting close to lay which would hopefully explain the bigger comb. They don't come hen feathered do they?

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    No, the only breed that is hen-feathered is the Sebright Bantam (though Campines have a modified version of it).

9. GreenMum

I didn't realize that hen feathered was an actual thing...I thought you were commiserating with me about not knowing. I'm really glad I somehow didn't submit the response I had earlier. If you were commiserating with me, it was funny, but given the actuality of it all it was a pretty dumb statement! I learned something new today! [​IMG]

10. AraucanaAnnie

AraucanaAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

I think a girl. I don't see hackles or saddles, and leghorns get big combs very fast. She looks like a POL (point of lay) pullet! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by