1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Exchequer Leghorns ~ Calm or Crazy??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chick4chix, Nov 28, 2010.

1. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    I have been wanting to add some white egglayers to my spring 2011 flock of chicks. After doing research, have landed on the Exchequer leghorn. They are beautiful, lay an abundance of white eggs and are "reportedly" calmer than the white leghorn. [​IMG]
    Does anyone have first-hand experience with these and what can you tell me about them- both good and bad.

A little history:
    I had a small flock of white leghorns about 20 years ago, that tried to commit mass-suicide into the brick wall that backed their run everytime I went in to fill feeders, change bedding, collect eggs- in other words every day.
    They never got tame, always maintaining their terrified attitude flapping dust, feathers, and airborn poultry dirt up into my face and flying straight into my head if I was in between them and their "imagined escape".
    I swore I would NEVER EVER again own a leghorn...until now - [​IMG] Whatever you can tell me will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  2. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    I have heard a California White is a little calmer. They are white with black spots..sorta like a Dalmation. They are suppose to be a little calmer and like attention. They also lay lots of white eggs.

3. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    I also love the look of the Exchequers, but haven't known any. I LOVED my Blue Andalusian, who recently died. She may have been atypical (was from a hatchery) but was SMART, bold, very friendly, and had more personality than just about any other bird I've had. I'd love another.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by