Exciiiiteeeedddd

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rin, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Rin

Rin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    Yes, I so am. I ordered a dozen eggs and am trying to tweek my new incubator juuussst riiiight before they get here. I'm expecting porcelain D'uccle bantams and they are my first chickens/attempts at incubation/raising anything from "birth" that isn't a kitten. Yes, I know I'm in big trouble if just the thought of them being shipped my way makes me fidget like a crazy person! I hate to think what the hatching wait will do to me! D:

EDIT: Never mind, it's working PERFECTLY with the heat on - now I'm just plain excited for the eggies to get here. I'm already running back and forth keeping an eye on my heat and humidity :> Consider it a prologue to what I'm gunna be like for the next month XD

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The humidity is even too high for hatching. You need less than 50% humidity the first 18 days and no more than 65-70 or so the last three. You need to empty out some water in there before eggs go in.

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I think yours is a still air. Look at the directions for troubleshooting. Your humidity is to high if you have condensation, which is not good. I have hova-bator 2362 with a fan. I have humidity at 50 - 58 %. Which some think is to high, It is what I read in the sticky tread. It worked fine for my practice hatch of Blk Giant Jersey/buff orp mixs.
    Start by reading the instructions and look at the sticky tread. Good luck.

4. Rin

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    Ahaha I probably should have waited till I turned the heat on before fretting. In the time I was writing a reply the humidity plummeted to 60% from the 75% it was at when I started to reply and is still dropping. That's odd. Goes against all my instinct as someone who's kept herps. Water dish + heat = Humidity. Call it a novice freak out but I guess the heat is pushing out the moisture or something? XD I've read some guides and what have you before even ordering my incubator but none of them said anything about more heat reducing the humidity just some said apparently the wrong humidity and general heat to use.

I feel so stupid, I understand the water is evaporating now but shouldn't that raise the humidity rather than making it plummet about 5% every 10 mins? XD There's nothing in this pamphlet about it. But I guess everything is working as intended.

Update: Down to 44% even :>

5. Rin

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    After much tweeking, the temp is stable at 100.8 F with 48% humidity. Bring on them eggies! When I check the shipping though, it says I'm getting a delivery tomorrow - just can't tell if that's the eggs too or just my chick feed [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by