excited about my baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by marvun22, Mar 16, 2013.

1. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    as some of you might have heard, im getting ducks this april. i was so impatient that i decided to pass the time getting 4 silver laced wyandottes from my local feed store. i was hoping i could get them and 2 other random birds that the store had, but there were supposed to be 125 chicks coming into the store yesterday, but they hadnt. either way my 4 birds made it back home even though it was 50 miles. they're in my stock tank right now and they seem to be content right now. i do own a golden laced wyandotte but I didn't raise her as a baby. would wyandottes act that much different from the other birds i've raised as babies such as: buff orpingtons, rhode island reds, and new hampshire reds.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I had a bad experience with the few hatchery Wyandottes I had: they were aggressive bullies, and not at all human friendly. I've read the same thing from others. These were Ideal chicks. It was a few years ago, though. It could well have been the genetic line rather than the breed.

Buff Orps have a reputation of being mild mannered and easily bullied. I had 3 and this is how mine were. EE's are supposed to be mild mannered and friendly but this has NOT been my experience; i still have one or two. I have one Production Red -- my RIR's were on the aggressive side but this bird is unafraid and friendly. My Australorps accept affection but aren't fond of it; they are calm and independent, not bullying types at all.

In the end they are individuals. I'd still try to socialize them, and hope for the best!

3. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    i'm holding all of them at least 2 times a day trying to get them 2 be friendly. i got a golden laced wyandotte from a neighbor who got hers from the same feed store as this one. it is really nice. the feed store gets them from hoover hatchery if that makes a difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by