Excited about my finds!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AmySue, Aug 2, 2010.

1. AmySue

AmySue Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    Cincinnati
    I've been working on getting materials for the coop/run I'm planning on starting tomorrow. This morning my daughter and I visited a local salvage store (that benefits Easter Seals) to see what we could find - it was awesome! Found a 100 yr old farmhouse screen door for $15 - it even already has the 1/2 " hardware cloth in it! Just needs to be cleaned, sanded and painted and voila! A door for the run. I also found a small window for the coop from the same farmhouse for $5. I love getting a great deal, owning a small piece of history, supporting a worthy cause, having a fun morning with my 13 yr old dd, AND rescuing something from our landfill... and all for only $20. [​IMG]

On the downside, I also made a trip to Lowe's to get the rest of what I needed... and I say "need" loosely!! How did the under $100 coop I promised my husband I'd make (before the chicks arrived!) turn into a $400+ project?! [​IMG]

I love those 5 fuzzy lil goofballs!

2. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    but hey....you got a door and window for $20 ! Woo-hoo! [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG]

I'm afraid to sit down with receipts for all the coop materials I've purchased for my chickens. And the plus side, the folks at the Commercial section of the closest Lowe's know me by sight. They even ask to see my latest photos (on my cell phone) of my latest projects....

..... I started out with two goldfish ponds almost 2 years ago, then got into raised garden beds... and last summer started on the Chicken Coop project. Got my first chicks the first weekend of October 2009.

4. floridaquilter

floridaquilter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2010
    Crescent City, FL
    I cringed when I paid nearly a thousand dollars for all the equipment needed for my hens and geese..but..the coops are here for a very long time. You will be SO proud when it is completed and you can fill it with birds for years! The enjoyment of it all is priceless and quite an educational experience for your daughter. ENJOY!!

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Oh heaven's I would never sit down and go over the receipts for coop building with my DH...the 12' x 12', 6' x 8' and two smaller ones in Oregon and now the purchase of a 10' x 20' shed here in Kentucky that still needs modifications, 2 small duck coops and now the need for several small bantam coops. hahahaha Oh we will not discuss those costs at all....it adds up quickly!

6. cfdf

cfdf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Sounds like you did good there. Be sure and post pictures when you are done...or in the process of building. I just love looking at everyones creations on here. It keeps me happy for hours looking. [​IMG]

7. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    No matter how much you spend......it's still cheaper than a boat, a convertible, or a big Harley. And you never have to fill it with gas!

The difference between men and boys is the cost of their toys! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

8. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    Quote:That's all well and good unless your that person that has the boat, convertible and harley. Yeah....it's just better to not talk about it, stay in denial, that's my advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by