Excited about the baby 'Blues' project

wegotchickens

DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies
12 Years
Jul 5, 2007
Sevier County, TN
Here are the parents:

2952_10-8-9_blues_2.jpg

The eggs were set 9/30 in the evening. I candled last night. 11 are showing good veins and I even saw a couple of embryos dance for me. 1 is 'off' and I'm not sure it will make it. 1 was clear. I've left them in for now.

This is the very first hatch for my self-blue d'Uccles, so I'm very pleased with how well the eggs are doing!

2952_10-8-9_blues_1.jpg

d'uccles are BY FAR my favorite bantam. I have 7 mille fleur and 5 black mottled d'uccle's in my bator as we speak. With 6 WB silkies and 5 "special project" cross eggs im really hoping for. Self blue and porcelain d'uccles never really caught my eye...the colors just seem to bland to me, but i still think they are very pretty for d'uccles and your breeders look VERY nice.
smile.png

I love them did you do the breeding yourself or did you buy eggs I would be interested in those they are beautiful

These are a set of hatchery birds I got from another BYCer that decided she preferred standard breeds.

I'm hatching now to see if they breed true lav, or if something else shows up. It's for me personally and my daughter for her science project. I already have homes lined up for the breeding program culls.

In 2 more weeks we'll set a batch with the blue girls by a porcelain roo. He is NOT a 'good' porcelain (too much straw) but he has the lav gene so it's good for our purposes.
And if we get too much yellow from this cross then they'll go into the butterscotch experiment
big_smile.png

From here on out I'll be doing all the breeding myself. I had intended to never get any more hatchery birds, but these were too pretty to pass up. Just worried they'll have the hatchery trend of a quick life-cycle. They sure did mature a LOT faster than my heritage Mille Fleurs.

Quote:
Don't know how I missed this before.
Thanks, Speckled! That means a lot coming from the Queen of Beautiful Birds
big_smile.png

asylum11, d'Uccles are hands down my favorites 'eye-candy' chickens as well. And these blues are such snugglers! If I don't let them out and cuddle I get such a scolding from them! And those d'Uccle voices are sooo unique!
Watching these Lavs mingle with the Milles & the starter Butterscotch is really cool. They are more striking than bland in person, which is why I have a waiting list for any chicks that need a home.

SunAngel & mstricer, thank you for the compliments. Will definitely keep this thread updated! Glad you are interested in my babies!!

Back
Top Bottom