Excited and scared...Chicks should hatch thursday! I have an issue though!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by matt1898, Jan 21, 2014.

1. matt1898

matt1898 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2013
    Broadway, NC
    OK OK OK OK. hehehe, I'm a little nervous and scared.

This is my 3rd attempt at hatching. I am using the LG incubator along with the Egg turner that I added prior to this clutch of eggs.

I have 8 wyandotte crosses and 1 Red star that should start hatching on thursday. I just candled the remaining 25 eggs or so and tossed the others that haven't done squat. And those remaining are almost completely black inside, with the exception of the air bubble.

The only real issue I have is that the Red Star started incubation about 4 days before the Wyandottes. That egg is completely dark except for the air sack, and the others still have a little space and a few blood vessels that I can tell so I know they won't hatch till after the first little guy.
    Ten minutes ago I could not for the life of me figure out how to take the egg turner apart to remove enough racks to set the one egg on its side as to not turn anymore.. So that is the pickle I'm in., What do I do?? Its cold in this part of the house right now and I don't want to keep opening and fooling around with it specially since I need to get the humidity up. Should I just let it go and keep slowly turning? So close to the finish line with this batch.

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Can you put in one small piece of cardboard/ or a small plastic container, under that one egg, to keep it from turning?

Good luck!

3. rayray983

rayray983 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    cushman arkansas
    I am hatching out eggs now first 10 eggs I started then 3 days later I started 36 more at time for normal lock down I just locked down I've had 9 of the first 10 hatch one had stopped growing and the other. 36 are now ready to hatch and have external pips anyway I read on here somewhere that you can stop turning after day 16 and that's exactly what I did on my last 36 was actually day 15 your but mine were all local eggs and not shipped I'm horrified of shipped eggs hope this helps

4. matt1898

Jan 24, 2013
    Broadway, NC
    I may go ahead and remove the turner and lay them all on their sides. I'm just trying to keep the humidity/temps up in the bator.

5. matt1898

Jan 24, 2013
    Broadway, NC
    Well. So far nothing. Out of curiosity I candled them all again. Turns out I didn't do that great of a job on the Red Star egg, and it appears to have stopped growing several days ago. I can see a tad bit of the ring of death. The others look great as best as I can tell. Very nicely formed air sacs and the rest of the egg is solid black, except on one I could just barely make out a few veins near the air sac(membrane perhaps?).
    These last eggs should hatch any time, if they are going to hatch at all. :(

6. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Good luck!

7. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

With only 4 days apart I would just go ahead and remove the turner and let them all alone for the lock down and the hatching to take place [​IMG]

I hope your hatch works out [​IMG]

8. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Sorry to hear you lost the one. But for future reference, I don't stop turning my eggs at all. I have gotten better hatch rates by leaving them in the automatic egg turner.

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

If you leave them in the turner are you at least turning off the power to the turner ???????

10. matt1898

Jan 24, 2013
    Broadway, NC
    I've got them out of the turner and sitting on styrofoam plates inside the bator. No news yet. But my gf made this pic. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by