1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Excited!!! But what are my odds for girls?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by happymom99, Feb 12, 2012.

1. happymom99

happymom99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    California
    I am thrilled because I found someone near my home willing to sell me silkie chicks for a reasonable price and take back any I don't want once they are older and we can tell if they are hens or Roos. I would like to end up with two hens. Do you think if I buy six unsexed chicks I have a good chance of ending up with two hens?

Thank you,
    CJ

2. Syharrison

Syharrison Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    why dont you just buy two hens?

3. happymom99

happymom99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    California
    We are limited on the number of chickens we can have and my son has his heart set on a lap chicken. We are hoping if we get them as chicks and spend a lot of time we with them we will have a better chance of that. The five hens we have now we got as pullets and they are sweet, but nowhere near being lap chickens.

CJ

4. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Your chances of getting 2 hens are pretty good with 6 chicks. Being able to give them back to the breeder is also a great deal. Planning on adding 2 blue/green egg laying hens to my flock, I just ended up with 9. Should end up with several hens... choosing which to keep and which to sell is the real bugger. I'm actually hoping for several roos to make the decision easier for me!

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Your odds are really good. 2 raised to the 6th power gives you 64 different possible combinations. Out of these 64, there is one chance you will get 6 males. There are 6 chances you will get 5 males and 1 female. There are 57 out of 64 chances you will get two or more females.

I once got 7 pullets out of 7, which are odds of 1 in 128, so I certainly don't make guarantees. But I like your odds. They come out to be 89%.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by