Excited for 17 chicks arriving tomorrow!

LTygress

Songster
7 Years
Sep 12, 2012
I placed my order with McMurray hatchery back in the beginning of April. I knew it would be a while for them to "gather" all of the breeds I ordered, but it's finally time! They are officially in transit, and should arrive tomorrow!

Some of them I got just to say "look at the chicken I've got!" while others I got to purposely cross or raise as purebreds. Check out this interesting mix:

SUMP SUMATRAS females
4​
BLPP BUFF LACED POLISH Females
7​
PHOC PHOENIX Males
1​
PEAP PEARL-WHITE LEGHORN Females
3​
SUMC SUMATRAS Cockerels
2​
FRCS Free Rare Exotic Chick
1​

The sumatras I want to raise as purebred, but then decided to cross them with the phoenix to try and get the black color with the full AND long tail. I know the biggest problem with the Phoenix is the long tail often gets stepped on. But in every picture I see, the Sumatra appears to have a much fuller tail (more feathers to it). So hopefully I can cross the two and get a long tail that isn't affected AS MUCH by being stepped on, plus a longer tailed black chicken.

The buff-laced polish I got just to say I have them. I think they look so neat! And the Leghorns I got just for egg production. But after talking with another local chicken owner/breeder, I decided I would try to cross the Leghorns with both the polish and sumatras to get more prolific layers.

It's going to take a LOT of work and MANY years to get what I want from the crosses. But in the meantime, I will have some pretty showy birds in my backyard!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom