Excited for new coop!

Robbo

Songster
6 Years
Mar 20, 2013
Idaho
My birds are free roamed 24/7 but do have their area as well... it is a 12ftx30ft run with 4 small coops inside of it. I have 16 chickens and 1 duck. Well we had a 8ftx12ft shed built for use a few years ago for extra storage from the house. It has been AMAZING and I couldn't be happier with it. So I finally have saved up enough money to buy 1 more! It'll be next to the other, but barn colored :) I will be selling all my coops and fencing for my runs to help out just a touch more. They will be custom building a chicken door inside of the main door as well. Along with two 2ftx4ft sliding windows on either side. A sun 2ftx4ft light box in the ceiling,two 16inx8in vents on either wall at the tops for ventilation and I will get an 8ft side with a 16ft deep shelf and the back 12ft wall with the same, leave one side without a shelf for storage and such. I plan on placing the roosts above one side and making the shelf a poop board and then nesting boxes on the other.

I am too excited. Finally wont look like a mess in the backyard with a million little baby buildings, haha.

Will surely keep this thread updated with photos and the process. So far I have sold 2 of my coops today and helped load them up as they went on their way. I have 2 coops left! the other one I wont put up for sale until the shed is built and in our yard that way my birds aren't homeless, haha.

I think we are going to make plans for them to attach on a lean to that way we can store our stuff to the side of the shed, like mowers, tillers, ect.,

Were our current run and coops are we will turn into our garden, that way it isn't out in the side yard and we can have easy access too.

Those of you with Shed Coops can you suggest good set ups? How to do roosts, nest boxes, what to do with the extra space? Ect., or any good threads to look at?

My shed coop is an 8x8 shed kit from 84 lumber. They offered the most complete package at the best price and it has 2x4 walls instead of 2x3 as the other kits I'd seen. I didn't make the double doors the way the kit was setup. Instead I built a 30" single door. I offset it 16" from one side wall. In that space is where I have my nesting boxes. The other side I have an 8' long roost with a poop board underneath. On each end wall of the roost I have a 12" square gable vent as high up as possible. I also added a ridge vent to the roof. I also added 2 windows (the 84 lumber salesman gave me free because they were obsolete displays). One on the west side and one on the south to allow as much natural light in as possible. I'll post a few pics tomorrow.

Last edited:
Those of you with Shed Coops can you suggest good set ups? How to do roosts, nest boxes, what to do with the extra space? Ect., or any good threads to look at?
Look at My Coop page.
I have a 16x16 'shed', only used 6' of it for the coop....so far.

Look at My Coop page.
I have a 16x16 'shed', only used 6' of it for the coop....so far.

@aart I have never been able to figure out yet how you find members Coop pages, Swap pages, Ect., Or how to even make them... Could you help with letting me know how to find them on the site?

Quote: Under my avatar there's a link that says 'My Coop'......that's the only way I know how to look at coop pages on my laptop.

Now, if you're on a mobile device, that may not be an option...so I'll link it here for you https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/aarts-coop-page

Signatures don't seem to show up on mobiles either, here's 2 great article for coop planners from my signature:
Great article on VENTILATION, one of THE MOST IMPORTANT aspects of coop design.
Fantastic treatise to help decide how much space your chickens need.

Thank You!

So my order has been placed and designed, they are coming on the 16th to build :) Now time just to sell my last few coops.

What do you use on the floor? i was thinking of just a bale of straw...

Back
Top Bottom