EXCITED....getting ready to set my first hatch.

Layin Eggs

Songster
12 Years
Nov 4, 2007
South Eastern, MA
Well...it has been quite some time since I have posted, though I do read post frequently.
Anyhow, I got a bator for Christmas and today I set it up. I have it running to make sure everything is in check. I am waiting on the arrival of 12 Buff Orp eggs. I am guessing they will arrive Wednesday or Thursday. How Exciting. My kids 4 & 6 can't wait to see little chicks hatch. I sure hope they make it.
This will be my first time so if anyone has pointers, it would be greatly appreciated.

I am using the Genesis Hova-bator 1588. Instructions seem pretty straight foward.

I think I read somewhere about letting eggs rest after shipping? 6-24 hours pointed end down?

Also wondering how many people are candling at day 5 or so? It scares me to think about opening the bator and losing too much heat, however I would be so curious to see if any veins had formed.

OK thats enough rambling for now .....I will have to wait and see. I day at a time.
pop.gif

Last edited:
You will have so much fun....try enjoying the experience and don't be a worry wart too much...

I don't candle but on day 7 ,14 and 18...candling before day 7 you will not be able to see much...by day 7 you will see the veins and eye/embryo well....

Ask questions on here if you need too, lots of people here have hatching experience under their belts so to speak....

I am sooo egggcited
lau.gif
I have decided I am going to put some of my own egg in as well just ot see what happens.

BR hen X BR roo
GLW hen X BR roo
Ameraucana & EE hens X BR roo
jumpy.gif
fl.gif

Last edited:
I always put acouple of my own hens eggs in the bator when I set shipped ones...that way I can tell if my bator is giving me problems or if its the shipped eggs or the P.O. thats done them in....

Back
Top Bottom