EXCITED....getting ready to set my first hatch.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Layin Eggs, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Layin Eggs

Layin Eggs Songster

Nov 4, 2007
    South Eastern, MA
    Well...it has been quite some time since I have posted, though I do read post frequently.
    Anyhow, I got a bator for Christmas and today I set it up. I have it running to make sure everything is in check. I am waiting on the arrival of 12 Buff Orp eggs. I am guessing they will arrive Wednesday or Thursday. How Exciting. My kids 4 & 6 can't wait to see little chicks hatch. I sure hope they make it.
    This will be my first time so if anyone has pointers, it would be greatly appreciated.

I am using the Genesis Hova-bator 1588. Instructions seem pretty straight foward.

I think I read somewhere about letting eggs rest after shipping? 6-24 hours pointed end down?

Also wondering how many people are candling at day 5 or so? It scares me to think about opening the bator and losing too much heat, however I would be so curious to see if any veins had formed.

OK thats enough rambling for now .....I will have to wait and see. I day at a time. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    You will have so much fun....try enjoying the experience and don't be a worry wart too much...

I don't candle but on day 7 ,14 and 18...candling before day 7 you will not be able to see much...by day 7 you will see the veins and eye/embryo well....

Ask questions on here if you need too, lots of people here have hatching experience under their belts so to speak....

3. Layin Eggs

Layin Eggs Songster

Nov 4, 2007
    South Eastern, MA
    I am sooo egggcited [​IMG] I have decided I am going to put some of my own egg in as well just ot see what happens.

BR hen X BR roo
    GLW hen X BR roo
    Ameraucana & EE hens X BR roo [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I always put acouple of my own hens eggs in the bator when I set shipped ones...that way I can tell if my bator is giving me problems or if its the shipped eggs or the P.O. thats done them in....

5. RepoBob

RepoBob Songster

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    Good Luck, that's a real nice incubator. Read a lot of good things about it.
    [​IMG]
    Bob

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: