Excited Newbie!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jctid, Feb 22, 2013.

1. jctid

jctid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2013
    HI! I am a newbie chicken person, and I am so excited about all of my new chicks! I wanted to show you all pictures, and get opinions about each breed. (like are they cranky, cuddly, broody, etc.) I have read all the info on what to expect for them, but thought your personal experiences would be fun to share, too.

This is Oreo, the Silver Laced Wyandotte:
    [​IMG]

Sunny (side up), a Golden Sex Link:
    [​IMG]

Finn, a Buff Orpington:
    [​IMG]

This is Devil, an Easter Egger:
    [​IMG]

And this is Katniss, a Barred Plymouth Rock:
    [​IMG]

I have 3 more, but they haven't had their photo shoot yet. I will add them later. Thanks for looking!

2. BTinks

BTinks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2013
    Hi! I'm a chicken newbie too! Your little chicks are so cute and I love their names!

3. UrbanChickenSF

UrbanChickenSF Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    Great names! I'm also a newbie. I'm interested to follow this thread and see what folks have to say about the various breeds you have. :)

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Awesome new chicks!!! They'll be beautiful hens!

5. Johnson5326

Johnson5326 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    Adorable cuteness if I do say so myself. I just got my first 7 chicks (well we had some when I was a kid but they were bought as adults). I got 6 ducks last year and they have been great (until 4 AM when they escape the duck house and quack as loudly as possible under my bedroom window [​IMG]). Your chicks are all different than mine. I have 3 Rhode Island Red hens and 3 Black Giant straight runs, and another hen that is either a Black Giant or sexlink. They're about a week old now. I got them last Sunday from Tractor Supply [​IMG]

6. margh

margh Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2013
    They are gorgeous, I look forward to seeing more pics!

7. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    Über cute!!!! I can't wait for my first chicks of the year. Hatching them on easterz!!

8. hopefulpeeps

hopefulpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Franklin, NC
    Oh how adorable!!!!

9. LovePolish2

LovePolish2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    Missouri
    So cute!!

10. MelTilocco

MelTilocco Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2013
    Northeast Ohio
    I have Buff Orpingtons, 2 hens and a roo, they are great birds. Friendly and sweet. My girls are very good layers, all winter even so cold and snowy they keep laying. They however do Not like going out in the snow and just refuse to go out the door when the white stuff is on the ground. They are a bit spoiled here. I'll see what they think in about a month when our new babies go out of the house and into the barn. My Barred Rock is my youngest in the barn and hand tame, she is only 20 weeks (profile Picture) I have always LOVED the breed. Good Luck with your chicks. And Enjoy them, they grow so fast [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by