1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Excited newby

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Luckymommn, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Luckymommn

Luckymommn New Egg

Oct 5, 2013
    Hello. I just happened by this great site! I have ordered a chicken coop for spring delivery. I have registered for a class at thee U of Mn class extension on raising backyard chickens. I live in Minnesota and just moved to a town which allows hens! So, it's a dream come true. A few weekends ago the EggPlante store in St. Paul sponsored a self-guided coop "walk". Over 27 coops were on display, mostly city settings. Such fun seeing the different settings and most of all talking to the residents. So, for me, spring can't come too soon! One thing I gleamed from a couple keepers was to get juveniles to start my brood. Thoughts? :)

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] It sounds like things are coming together nicely for you! You can start with day-old chicks, older chicks, POL (point of lay) hens, or older chickens. Whichever is the easiest for you. Chicks need to be kept warm and in a brooder for the first 6-7 weeks, which is an extra hassle, but the benefit of raising chicks yourself is that they grow up completely tame and used to being handled by you. Older chickens are usually a bit more skittish, depending on breed and personality. The downside of chicks however is having to wait 5 months or longer for eggs, whereas POL pullets will lay within a few weeks. Personally I prefer raising chicks as I like seeing them grow up and bonding with them in the process. Older chickens may be easier for you though.

3. Luckymommn

Luckymommn New Egg

Oct 5, 2013
    Thank you SO much for your insight and seasoned advice! I am happy to be a part of this new (to me) community! Have a great weekend!:)

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You're welcome and same to you! [​IMG] Do let us know when you get your chickens and in the meantime, if you have any questions, feel free to ask. We've all been "new" once!

5. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    Welcome to the site. Get a bag of corid now and put it in the cabinet for the first outbreak of cocci.

6. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    [​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] glad you joined our flock

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. I'll pray for an early spring. [​IMG]

10. Teri Metcalf

Teri Metcalf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    College Station, Texas
    Greetings from Texas! You're going about it the right way by taking a class, taking a "coop walk," and finding this site.

You'll definitely be ready for some spring chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by