1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Excited to be a new member on BYC!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JimandTerry, Oct 27, 2013.

1. JimandTerry

JimandTerry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2013
    Can someone tell me if this is a hen or rooster? [​IMG]

2. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    Hello and welcome.[​IMG] Not sure but going to guess anyway. I would say roo because of the pointy feathers.Some more pics may help also.

3. JimandTerry

Sep 15, 2013
    Thanks ... we thought originally a hen but it has been crowing better than the rooster we have. I will get a closer picture of the chicken.

4. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]Hi From Jacksonville! Beautiful Polish - I am going to say Rooster. Hard to tell from that angle. What I am looking at - And anyone with Polish might know better so I will defer if I am incorrect.....I am looking at the feathers around the neck. Roosters get these dagger shaped neck feathers which are long and thin and when they feel threatened they can raise them up to look menacingly fierce. Like a Lions mane.

Your chicken appears to have those feathers. I could be wrong. I do not own a polish hen or rooster. Roosters Combs and wattles become very bright at a much younger age. And then there is the crowing -

Caroline

5. JimandTerry

Sep 15, 2013
    Thanks Caroline!!

Appreciate your feedback - Its' my first time having chickens and I didn't think when we bought chicks they would give us 2 roosters however, I can only assume they couldn't tell the sex that young. I don't know what happens when you have 2 roosters.

6. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Welcome! Glad you joined BYC! :~D

7. birdrescuer

birdrescuer New Egg

Sep 24, 2013
    Camano Island, WA
    Sorry I can't help with the id, but sending you a hearty welcome from another reasonably new member.

8. JimandTerry

Sep 15, 2013
    hi... that's alright!! Appreciate the welcome for sure.

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  10. Bluebee

Bluebee Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Cali
    Welcome to BYC JimandTerry! X2 on Kelsie2290's advice. Looks like rooster to me, beautiful bird! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by