Excited to be here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CrazedGirl, Mar 16, 2018.

1. CrazedGirl

CrazedGirl In the Brooder

Mar 16, 2018
    Maryland
    Hey everyone!

My name is Lauren, I’m 28 years old full time vet tech. Between myself and my husband we have 2 dogs, 4 cats, 11 snakes, 1 lizard, and bins with worms for composting, super worms and dubias. I primarily take care of the reptiles while the cute and cuddly critters are my husbands favorite. We will also be getting meat rabbits and honey bees within the next few years.

We live on 3.25acres of hill and will be getting our first chicks soon! I’ll be having a coop made since neither of us have the time, or know how, to make a coop. A few breeds I want to get are:

- Orpingtons (there is a local breeder settling Mottled Lavenders!)
    - Ameracaunas
    - Easter Eggers
    - Olive Eggers
    - Silkies (husbands favorite)

We are getting chickens for a number of reasons: eggs, and meat. I’m aware the breeds I am looking into are primarily used for eggs which is why meat is last.

Open to meeting like minded individuals! :D

2. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    welcome-group.gif

Welcome to Backyard Chickens!

Build a larger coop than you think you will need.

chicken_math.jpg

3. Plip

Plip Free Ranging

Apr 28, 2010
    NW Washington State
    Welcome to BYC, Lauren! Great to have you here!

Sound like you two have quite the little farm!

4. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi Lauren and welcome to BYC. Some peeps chose dual purpose breeds whereas others go for broilers and layers.

Here’s a good link where you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

5. CrazedGirl

CrazedGirl In the Brooder

Mar 16, 2018
    Maryland
    That is the plan! Hubby thinks we will get a coop to hold about 10. I'm aiming for one that holds around 16. ;)

6. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    :goodpost:

7. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi Lauren and :welcome There’s so many helpful, knowledgeable folks here and I’m sure you’ll find this site a very useful resource. I hope you enjoy it as much as we all do.

CrazedGirl, 007Sean, ronott1 and 2 others like this.
  8. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie All My Friends Have Hoofs

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    hi.gif WELCOME ARROW SMILE.gif
    :yuckyuck

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Lauren, welcome to Backyard Chickens. I think your husband would enjoy checking out the "Silkie thread," on BYC. BTW Silkies are probably considered the No.1 broody, breed.

Broodies love to sit on/hatch fertile eggs, and raise chicks. In fact Silkies usually aren't good layers, because after some eggs, they decide to go broody and hatch them. While they are broody (hormonal occurrence) you can slip eggs of any breed under them and they will hatch and raise as their own.

CrazedGirl, 007Sean and ronott1 like this.
  10. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    CrazedGirl, 007Sean and ronott1 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: