Excited to be joining the flock!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tmoorie, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Tmoorie

Tmoorie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2015
    My hubby and I have been researching for a while now about raising chickens. We had decided this was the year we were going to do it! We have been pricing food and designing our coop. We have a spot in our yard where we will have the coop and run. We have picked out the types of chicks we want! We are on fire about this!

So this morning I spoke with a dear friend and she is moving. She is looking for a place to keep her girls! Of course I jumped at the chance! We are moving her coop to my house and taking over her 11 hens!!! I was only thinking of 4 or 5 to start but the more the merrier. I am so very excited but a little nervous as well.

I am a book nerd and I love to learn. I have read, researched and watch videos but I also know that once I dive in things will come up that I did not think of. I am so excited to have found this website and this community of people who are so ready to help!

Any advice would be appreciated. I live in North Texas, just south of Fort Worth and our weather has been chilly.

Thanks in advance for all the positive advice I will recieve! I can't wait to finally have a flock of my own! [​IMG]

Tanya

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Welcome to BYC.
    It's always exciting to get your first chickens whether it'd be for eggs, meat, or for show. There are certain breeds of chicken that are used for the categories like the Leghorn, Ameracana or the Minorca are known for their egg laying and the Cornish or broiler for meat. You could also go into breeds like the Jersey Giant, Buckeye, and any other American breed these are known as Dual purpose which means they are both really usable for eggs and when you're ready they can be used for meat.
    If you haven't already since you like reading there is a review page for poultry related books that you can find to pick out the important books that you might be interested in reading. Since I show birds I have the APA standard of Perfection which is the book that most exhibitors and breeders use since the book spends most of it's time describing how each breed needs to be judged and bred.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You have come to the right place!! Definitely stop by our learning center for all kinds of good articles on all the aspects of keeping chickens...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Congrats on the new flock! I hope they bring you great joy!! Give them time to settle into their new home. Don't let them out to free range for a couple days until they know where home is or you might be fishing them out of the trees at night! If they are of laying age, they will probably stop laying for a few weeks while they get used to the new digs.

Enjoy your new flock and welcome to ours1

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.
    Congrats on the flock![​IMG]

X2 on the advice given above.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    How's that for getting your feet wet? [​IMG] Welcome to Backyard chickens, and good luck with your instant flock.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]e're glad to have you.

9. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Tanya. Glad you decided to join our flock. My wife and I were both raised not too far from where you are (Blue Ridge for her, Greenville for me), and I have relatives in Weatherford. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens does your friend have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by