Excited to learn more!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lahna, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Lahna

Lahna New Egg

Nov 27, 2012
    Hello everyone!
    I've recently moved to Cincinnati, OH and am seriously considering raising chickens this coming spring! I've done my research on the legality part and am overly pleased that I can raise some of my very own little ladies without even having to get a permit!

I've talked to a couple of my neighbors, that live in close proximity, and have a couple more to get an "ok" from before I start drawing up plans for my coop. They're pretty great though and I'm hoping that they wont mind. (I figure a bribe of fresh eggs should get them on board)

I'm really quite excited and am looking forward to reading about others' experiences!

~Lahna

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California, chickens are awesome :)

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, Lahna, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! You are right - a few fresh eggs can go a long way to making neighbors just fine with the idea of you having chickens. I wish you all the best!!

4. poultrified

poultrified Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2012
    Congradulations on your upcoming spring chicken adventures [​IMG] I moved to a 14 acre ranch property a year ago and have grown my new family farm from 13 hens to over 200 in one year. A big learning experience for sure- keeping me on my toes with new obstacles like weather issues, predators (I've managed to attract a mountain lion!) I dont know what kind of set up you have planned, but one word of advice if I may- is do alot of research on possible predators whether it's wild ones or neighborhood animals. I've modified and re-built coop. The hardest part of having chickens is having to cull ones I was attached if they got ill or injured, etc. [​IMG] I wasnt prepared for these things once upon a time, but whether I have 2 chickens or 200, I Wouldnt trade this new lifestyle for anything! I've tamed my chickens the point they land on me the minute i sit down to give them treats.. this was fine and dandy only when they were tiny!! My husband just laughs hysterically when I get ambushed every morning. LOL. Good luck with your chickens- you'll surely love them they are the most awesome creatures ever...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!!
    [​IMG]

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by