Excited to start a feathered family!

jencope02

Chirping
11 Years
Jan 1, 2010
Tracy
Hi BYC crew!

In a couple short weeks my boyfriend and I will be moving into out first house with a big backyard! I can't wait to get a coop built and to have chicks in the spring!

Any help and suggestions for my future project would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Happy New Year!

Welcome to the forum. Glad you are here.

I don't know what you do or don't know. I'd suggest to look in the Learning Center at the very top and read a bunch. When you have a question, use the Search function in the blue section above or post a question. Never be afraid to ask a question. That's how we communicate.

I'd think your first thing to decide is why you want chickens; eggs, pets, meat, to show, to eat bugs, to breed, for fertilizer, or a combination of these or some completely different reasons. You'll find that many of us have different reasons but we still get along.

How much room do you have? That will influence a lot of things. Are there any rules or restrictions you have to follow? There often are in a town or subdivision. What is your climate? Might I suggest you modify your profile to show where you live? Climate can effect many things.

Get ready for a satisfying although sometimes frustrating experience. I am glad you have joined us.

welcome-byc.gif
from Indiana and Happy New Year!

Thank you for your replies!
I have been looking through the site and I am learning quite a bit. Other than wanting chickens for the pure enjoyment, I would like to have them for eggs, bugs and fertilizer. I will have space for 2-4 birds. I have been having fun looking at different coop designs! Climate - northern/central California, highs mid 90's some 100 days and low mid 30s, 40s.

Currently, by biggest concerns are 1) Have a parrot - my concern being diesese. Anyone have any experince with this, 2) teaching my dogs (dachshunds) not to be interested in the chickens. One dog could care less abuut the parrot and most smaller animals, but the boy has been very intenese around cats and rabbits and still shows some interest in the parrot. My concern is once there are chickens in the yard and when they are in the run, he will sit, chase, whine etc at the coop/run. (the chickens and dogs would never be loose in the yard at the same time. Any training suggestions?

I still have a couple months before I can really get serious, but I am very excited!

Thanks!

Welcome to BYC. My hubbie and I are from Bowdon and run a chemical free farm and raise and sell veggies, all kinds of poultry, ship eggs and hatch babies as well....Also raise goats and bunnies.

If I can ever help you all in any way, or help you navigate the BYC or sister boards, please let me know.

Happy New Years!
smile.png
smile.png

I have Cockatoos and was concerned about transferring disease organisms from chickens. I have made it a habit to wear a t shirt (I bought 6 of the same color to wear just for chickens) when I tend the chickens. I use disposable vinyl gloves when cleaning poop. After I finish with chickens, I throw gloves away, remove the t shirt (I keep it by the door for tomorrow), wash my hands and arms with warm soapy water then use hand sanitizer on hands and arms. I also have shoes that go to coop and take them off before coming into house.
I find this is 100% successful and so quick and easy to do. You can't be too careful when a precious exotic's life is at stake.

welcome-byc.gif
from Penn Valley! Tracy is about two and a half hours from me.
smile.png

In regards to the parrots, I think you'll be fine as long as you exercise proper hygiene and make sure the birds you get are healthy before purchasing them. I've got a fairly large mixed flock, plus I own cockatiels, lovebirds, and parrotlets, plus I do wild bird rehabilitation (and therefore often have diseased birds in my home), and I have yet for anyone to get sick! It's just a matter of not letting the birds get in contact with one another, washing your hands, quickly isolating any bird who looks sick, and so on. Even with 30+ in my flock and I've owned chickens for ten plus years, I have yet to have any problems with disease, so while it's good to be cautious I wouldn't be overly paranoid either.

Good luck with starting up your flock! Feel free to ask any questions you may have here--everyone on here is super helpful and friendly!

Back
Top Bottom