Excited!!! yet confused....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Year of the Rooster, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    So today when I went to collect eggs I looked in the nest box and I my favorite sebright hen was broody! [​IMG] She was all fluffed up and constantly checking the eggs. She wasn't growling at me when I pet her but if you looked at her you would say broody. I was soooo excited! [​IMG] But when I went to go get my mom to show her, she was off the nest like nothing had every happened and wouldn't go back on. [​IMG] She was sitting on 3 standard eggs and two bantam ones which were quite warm when I picked them up. Can anyone explain why her broodiness was broken so easily? I really hope she tries again!.. even though I can't have chicks until i get rid of the extra roos, but it's still fun to see! [​IMG]

Thank you! [​IMG]

2. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    she probably wasnt broody.. she might had just finished laying her egg and was not ready to leave yet.... sorry

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I agree with sandypaws. My hens often stay on the nest for a half hour or so after they lay.

4. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Awww.. [​IMG] what a bummer.... I swore she looked exactly like one the way she was puffed up.... oh well.... I have silkie so I'll be seeing plenty of them soon.

5. Chicken Lil

Chicken Lil Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Gosh, if you want a broody silkie I'd love to send you my little partrudge hen. She is just goofy about staying in the nest, even with no eggs!

[​IMG]

6. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG] Thanks! but I have 3 ticking time bombs and I'm just waiting for the broodiness to explode!

I was so positive that she was just from the way she tucked the eggs under her and how she fluffed up. [​IMG]

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Some of my girls do that too. They will stay in the nests for quite awhile without laying an egg, but they aren't broody.

8. I was just wondering... Was she a clucky hen or regular out of the nest?? If she was clucking out of the nest she could be just coming into/begining to be broody.

My gals 6 are cluckers and two are definately broody cause the screach at me and fluff out like no ones buisness. But they are still broody and I like to take them out to see them walk around and cluck their discomfort. I think it is precious. Oh btw they are not sitting on eggs. Just a golf ball or two. Come Saturdayor Sunday I will have my clutch i want to hatch.... Hehehe

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by