Exciting and Frustrating

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MedinaChick2001, Sep 16, 2010.

1. MedinaChick2001

MedinaChick2001 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2010
    Last Thursday we had our first egg, we have 10 pullets. And we have had 5 eggs laid total. One was a soft shell :-( I am so excited to get the eggs, but frustrated at the same time because in 7 days, we only have 4 eggs.

2. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Give them time and they will lay...

Soft shell... may want to add some calcium to their diet... (crushed up eggs shells, oyster shell, etc)

Diana

3. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    If you free range look for hidden nest. My 1st pullet started and was every day then all of a sudden no more eggs. I found 6 eggs hiding under a ramp to shed. Now I notice her looking in that spot when she ready to lay but seems to like the new nest I made her.

4. imtc

imtc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    it will pick up....they don't lay every day when they first start. If it makes you feel any better, out of 9 hens (one molting, one who just finished being broody and a couple may still be too young)...I'm only getting 2 or 3 a day at most.

5. lurkin1

lurkin1 New Egg

Jun 8, 2010
    Southern Utah
    I'm in sort of the same boat. We got our first egg on Monday and have seen nothing since. The hens aren't let out of the coop until about 3 PM so I don't think mine are laying in odd places outside. I just think they were teasing [​IMG]

One day I hope to have more than I can use.

6. OliviaDeHav

OliviaDeHav Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2010
    Congratulations!!! YeA [​IMG] only don't give them egg shells it will encourage egg eating... but the oyster shells is a good idea for a thicker shell...also i heard first eggs can be smaller... not sure if any of yours were or not... Mine have not started yet... [​IMG] probably another 3 weeks. I am wondering if they could be slow because of temsp being cooler or heading into fall??? I know they slow in winter... It is cold where we are already....

7. MedinaChick2001

MedinaChick2001 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2010
    Mine are not let out cause I'm worried they will lay where I won't find them. Its rainy off and on, but not too cold. There is a heat lamp up high for the days and a few hours at night. I remember as a kid always gettin' eggs in the morning, but they seem to lay whenever, so I go out and check a few times a day.

8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Where did you get that idea? As long as you crush up the shells they'll be fine. Most eggeaters start when an egg is broken in the nest--a good reason to give calcium for strong shells, keep a good cushion in the nest and collect regularly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by