Exciting day today

mike48851

Songster
Apr 4, 2019
Lyons, MI
Well well,..After losing one of my five birds to what I think was a raccoon, I finally got my first egg today. I lost a bird due to lack of responsibility and not closing my run and coop up one night. I still feel terrible about it. Then my neighbor lost 5 of his 6 birds a few days later. Some raccoons have been trapped and dealt with since then. And I will never ever forget to lock the chickens up anymore.. I had on camera a few videos of some 'coons destroying my PVC feeder on the outside of my coop and just being reckless.

Anyhow...Today, i'm out crusing around, mowing the lawn, and I noticed one of my rhode island reds (the smaller of the two) wasn't with the rest of the flock under the pines (the pines seem to be their hangout). She was just kind of running around, so I just kept an eye on her (it was very warm today, so I was a little worried). Then she went in the coop and came back out...then back in...then back out. They very rarely go into the coop unless its bed time, or they want to eat. They free range all day, for the most part. So she went back into the coop and didn't come back out. I got off the mower and she was in the nesting box, trying to get the two golf balls I had in there out. haha. 20 minutes later, she laid an egg. Man, I was pumped, and still am.

Nnot exciting to some, but this was an exciting day for me. I got these chickens exactly 16 weeks ago today, and I have been waiting and waiting for eggs, while enjoying their entertainment each day.
I went and got some oyster shell crumbles. I was wondering, would it be ok to crush up their egg shells and feed them back?

Thanks in advance.
FDHL2130.JPG

Nnot exciting to some, but this was an exciting day for me. I got these chickens exactly 16 weeks ago today, and I have been waiting and waiting for eggs, while enjoying their entertainment each day.
I went and got some oyster shell crumbles. I was wondering, would it be ok to crush up their egg shells and feed them back?
It is exciting, especially that very first egg.... is like :wee

Mix crushed egg shells with OS....offer in a separate feeder.
This what I use:

Nice. Got another this morning. My leghorn looked like she was going to lay but never did. She was trying to get in the same box with the laying hen and she had those weird vent looking contractions lol. But nothing...maybe not quite ready

Thanks for the replies!

image.jpg
So I was just cleaning up the coop a bit and found this...looks like an egg (or what was an egg) ?

I just started with oyster shells and switched to layer feed. I can see they’ve already eaten some of the oyster shells. Will this resolve itself over time with the added calcium intake?

Thanks again

Congrats, woohoo and yippee!

:celebrate:wee:clap:woot
My EE and BL chicklets turned 16 weeks yesterday and I am waiting with bated breath for my first eggs. Feels like a year and a half, lol!

And yes, what you got there was a soft-shelled egg and the hen or hens ate it. Not unusual as the reproductive system is getting fired up, nothing to worry about, and it will resolve as they start getting more calcium from the oyster shell you're offering separately. No worries!

View attachment 1844771 So I was just cleaning up the coop a bit and found this...looks like an egg (or what was an egg) ?

I just started with oyster shells and switched to layer feed. I can see they’ve already eaten some of the oyster shells. Will this resolve itself over time with the added calcium intake?

Thanks again
New layers often lay shell-less or other weird eggs while they get into their egg-laying grooves. Not a big deal unless it keeps happening after a month or so.

Congrats on the eggs! I still get pretty excited, even though mine have been laying for 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom