Excuse my newbie-ness

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by wolfandfinch, Jan 8, 2011.

1. wolfandfinch

wolfandfinch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    I've been looking through this section on the forum and am finding it hard to see what I'm looking for, but please excuse me as I'm sure this must have been discussed before.

If I want to choose a breed based on certain characteristics, is it possible to find some sort of tool to filter by to list the best breeds for those characteristics? Also by habitat? More?

For example, I live in Vancouver Canada with a wet, mild climate. I have children and a cat so I need a friendly but not easily freaked out breed. I can have 4 chickens but would be happy to have from 1-4 breeds. I am new so probably need somewhat low-maintenance breeds in terms of learning-curves/investment of time.

Is there somewhere I can plug this all in and get a list of compatible breeds? Is there a thread I've missed that already went through all this?

thanks for your patience!

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Yes! At the very top of the page in Purple there is a list
    BYC HOme/ Learning Center/Breeds/ Coop Design/ BYC Store/ Member pages/ Reciepes/ Forum FAQ's

Click on breeds and it will have a great list including pictures and information such as climate hardiness, color of egg, personality. It is very informative!

And....[​IMG]

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Lots of folks have their own preferences of which breed they like best. I hear Orphingtons are good birds for kids. I know my Red Sexlinks were pretty calm birds as were the blacks.

For a cold climate like the reds, blacks, RIR, and Barred Rocks are good.

4. wolfandfinch

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    Quote:Yes I saw that. I guess I'm being lazy, and had assumed someone had built some sort of tool or database somewhere online to filter through breed info [​IMG]

thanks!

5. wolfandfinch

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    Quote:thank you for all these. I will read up on these ones specifically!

6. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  7. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  8. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
  9. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Welcome to BYC from Oregon!

10. txhomegrown

txhomegrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Como, TX
    That is a nice tool. I like the way you can choose all the different attributes to suit your preferences.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by