exhaust fans

only one lay

Songster
11 Years
Nov 2, 2008
litchfield mi
Did anyone go to this extreme. I've got a smallish fan 3 1/2 inch blades that could mount and grated on both sides very easy.already have electric in coop.
A timer in line for say 1 hr every 12? Any thoughts are appriciated pro or con- thanks

Funny you should ask. We have regular size windows in our hen house, 2 of them, across from each other.

We went to walmart last night and got a box fan, set it in the window on exhaust, (blowing outside, sucking air in the other window) and it has made a huge difference in the air temp inside the coop.

Not to mention, whisking away smells. Ventilation is very important in a coop.

It's about 100 degrees here today, Oklahoma summer weather is here.. I think the fan is well worth the time and effort.

Good for you to have electric in your chicken house. I only wish I had running water there too. Thank goodness we got a Ranger to tote water to the chicken house.

DonnaBelle

I have a box fan in one window and a standing smaller oscillating fan in the covered run. I am so happy we decide to put in electric! I am almost plumbed for water, I just have to dig up about 10' and run to the pipe but it has been so blasted hot here. This weekend it is over 100. And to think when i moved here (SC) I thought it was going to be cooler than Texas!

I leave it on high during the day and lower at night. I bought an attic fan w/a thermostat but haven't installed it yet.

Last edited:
I have exhaust fan in my coop, it's on a timer. This pics were taken prior to the outlets and light put in, they are mounted just to the left of the fan.(see last pic)
Check out the pics, now I had two chicks(6-7 weeks old) that roost on it last night! It's pretty tight up there. Last night I thought I had two escapees, till I finally noticed them!
30865_coop_ii_010.jpg

30865_coop_ii_008.jpg

30865_coop_ii_006.jpg

30865_pvc_waterer_002.jpg

right now I wish I had an exhaust fan, its so damp, wet and humid here I think I need to clean things out but its raining nearly every day. A fan would help with ventilation.

I mounted a "window" fan in a hole in the upper wall of the coop.

Its thermostatically controlled so it only runs when above a set temperature, and shuts off when it gets cool enough

I mounted a bath exhaust fan in the ceiling that exhausts into a roof vent. I also mount a small fan in the wall near the floor that blows in. Both are controlled by a thermostat. Really works great at keeping the coop cool.

Quote:
Hmm, you might want to nail in a piece of wood or flashing on an angle to keep them out from up there....looks like that fan wouldn't make a very good dropping board...I don't think chicken manure and electricity would mix very well, could be a whole new meaning to the term "fried chicken".
ep.gif

Good use of the fan, though. Getting that hot, humid air is definitely worth it!!!

Best wishes,
Ed

Quote:
While you're back at the drawing board you might as well look at the switches that also have a humidistat. Lots of the attic fans have this feature for the express reason of moving humidity out of the attic.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom