Exhausted!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by moniquem, Apr 4, 2018.

1. moniquem

moniquem Crowing

Feb 3, 2013
    washington
    Just cleaned out the brooder box. Is it me or do you think chickens get really excited for a completely clean house? These guys ran around after it was all clean and my little "Rocket" found a worm in the dirt box, kept it from the other guys and ate it! If you remember "Rocket" is my SS and she is about 1/2 the size of the other chicks. Those gingers are feisty!

From left to right Louis (BR), (you can't see her but she's butted right up next to Louis as always) Thelma (BA), Gretchen (Dark EE) and Rocket (SS).

29872092_1863268183684004_4327936200053490203_o.jpg

2. N F C

N F C is it nap time yet?

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I think my girls get curious when I clean the coop and/or add new bedding to it. They can't wait for me to be done so they can check it out and rearrange the bedding.

Glad Rocket found the worm and kept it for herself! Love SS, they're awesome :thumbsup

3. moniquem

moniquem Crowing

Feb 3, 2013
    washington
    She's really small, are they slow to sprout? She is literally half the size as the other girls, all the same age.

4. N F C

N F C is it nap time yet?

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    The SS I had were slower to mature than the other chicks I got (they were BR, RSL, BA). One of the SS was especially little, I named her Peanut. Eventually, the SS caught up with the others (even Peanut).

I don't remember where I read it, but I guess at one time SS were grown for meat. Once faster growing breeds or hybrids were available, the SS lost favor for raising as meat birds. It just takes longer to grow them.

I do know those little gals can put away the food! Once they've grown, they'll get pretty round if you don't keep the treats to a minimum (at least mine did :lol:).

moniquem likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: