Exhibition Breeding; getting rid of white on red earlobes?

CuckooOrpington

Chirping
Apr 1, 2016
Australia
I just bought a number of "exhibition Faverolles" and want to get back into breeding them. I got birds from one line but they grew out to have white earlobes, so I sold them and bought others from a different line. Turns out they have white on the earlobes too... I really don't want to get rid of them as I invested a lot into getting top bloodlines. Instead I want to try to breed out the white, has anyone been able to successfully get rid of this defect? How difficult is it? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I have to wonder where the white came from in the first place in two separate lines of top exhibition birds.
I have the opposite problem. I'm trying to keep white lobes. The breed I raise, Penedesenca (dark brown egg), are supposed to have a white earlobe and no white is a definite flaw. I can't acquire any more birds so, like you, I have to work with what I have.
So my approach is to not use any birds for breeding if they don't have a significant portion of the lobe that is white. That's what I would do but it may be harder working with a bird with feathers covering the lobe. To that end, hopefully not all of your birds have white lobes so you have choices.
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGD/Favs/BRKFaverolles.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom