Exhibition question

---Danielle---

In the Brooder
Jan 27, 2021
I'm in 4h and have a rooster I'm looking to show, but over the winter he got some frostbite. I tried to prevent it but he has a large comb and got it anyhow. Its not so severe to the point where it fell off however, but his comb is black. I have looked for a while to see if that would get him disqualified in the show, but figured people with newer information may help me. I'm trying to put in a picture but can't quite figure it out.

MicrosoftTeams-image (2).jpg
ok this is him I don't know how to get the picture in the original post

I'm in 4h and have a rooster I'm looking to show, but over the winter he got some frostbite. I tried to prevent it but he has a large comb and got it anyhow. Its not so severe to the point where it fell off however, but his comb is black. I have looked for a while to see if that would get him disqualified in the show, but figured people with newer information may help me. I'm trying to put in a picture but can't quite figure it out.
Most 4H judges do not deduct points for frostbite, at least not at local shows. They may at the State level, but I have never seen a County judge knock a bird down, let alone out, for a frostbitten comb or wattles.
In 4H, it's all about learning, so you may actually get "knowledge points" by being able to answer any questions the judge asks. Be sure to know what causes frostbite (dampness in a cold coop) and how to treat and prevent it (vaseline or antibiotic salve and keeping your coop clean, dry and free of drafts.) Good luck with your boy ... and at the shows!

Thank you so much!!! I'm glad he will be good then. I was afraid I would have to sell him he is my favorite rooster :)

Back
Top Bottom