Exhibition Rouen Drake X Jumbo Pekin Hen?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckmeister, Aug 22, 2016.

1. duckmeister

duckmeister Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2014
    Red Bluff, California
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just ordered 10 Jumbo Pekin female ducklings from Metzer's, plan on keeping a few of them to breed to my giant exhibition type Rouen drakes, any idea what color's the offspring will be next year? Have bred production Rouen drakes to normal Pekin hens in the past and gotten some light phase birds with a couple or few white flight feathers, very beautiful birds, but that was over 45 years ago! Wondering what possibilities for various color patterns there are with this cross? Only ordered the Pekin's because thought I had 3 Rouen drakes and only one hen, but the day after I ordered the Pekin's the Rouen that had a high reedy voice like a drake the day before, was quacking like a hen, been many years since I was fooled like that, can normally sex them by their voice when they are several weeks old like this. Only wanted 5 hens, but to avoid the small order penalty just went ahead and ordered 10. Put up a Craigslist add for 5, but no takers yet, will eat me out of house and home having to feed 10 Jumbo's and 4 exhibition Rouens, all they do is eat!

What should the drake to hen ratio be for this cross? I know the exhibition variety can have some trouble with fertility because of their size, and the ratio is kept low, but not sure hiow low.

2. duckmeister

Oct 13, 2014
    Red Bluff, California
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20 eggs in the incubator, Jumbo Pekin drake daddy (Big Daddy) and exhibition Rouen hen mama, (Big Mama). Can't wait to see what color they are and which parent they will most take after in body shape and color. Wanted some Rouen drake X Jumbo Pekin hen crosses too, but my Rouen drake didn't survive through the winter. Looking for Rouen drake though.

3. duckmeister

Oct 13, 2014
    Red Bluff, California
    20170515_112734.jpg

1/2 jumbo pekin daddy and exhibition rouen mama. 2 are pure pekin. The crosses turned out black bibbed 2 of them and 1 rouen looking duckling, but he looks like he'll have some extra white too. Hatched on Mothers day. Sold all but the rouen colored one already. Lousy hatching luck this year with my incubator, but rouen hen is setting 15 eggs, so hopefully she has better luck than I'v had.

Last edited: May 18, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by