exhibition rouens in the u.s.?

I occasionally see where a Rouen has won at a sanctioned show. So there are proper SOP Rouens in the USA, and they would have to be darn good ones to beat out the Calls for best duck.

Quote:
calls are pretty darn cute
love.gif

There arfe a lot of good Rouen ducks.Get a copy of the Poultry Press. I have some good ones but will not be selling eggs or ducklings. Some of the following have websites,I do not have adresses. Butch Gunderson "butchsbirds.com" Jim Koneckny, Jean Doerflin, Roland Doerr.

Jean's are some of the nicest ones I've ever seen, Jim's are nice too. Jean, Jim & Butch were all at the Crossroads show, I assume Roland was as well, I just never saw him, but I was very impressed with the Rouen classes! The hens had excellent color! It is very impressive on a bird that size! Jean is in Indiana, Jim is in IL, Butch is in WI (I think). Good luck! As a side note to OregonBlues, I've been to many shows lately where the Calls aren't even making Reserve Waterfowl...they are being beat by nice Runners, Muscovy, or even geese.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Yup, Easily.... Most shows here Calls havent been winning much. Mostly Egyptian and Indies, Havent heard of any really big call wins lately..

But there were ALOT of Rouens at Crossroads that were quite impressive. (We rarely have 2 at most at shows around here) But not sure if you will find good ones from hatching eggs...

I was VERY impressed with the Rouen class at Nationals. Of course, being here in Indiana, I often have to compete with Jean at the local shows. She has some excellent stock. Its hard to beat a good Rouen, but you rarely see them. (except when she's showing of course.) Some of our shows here have 50+ large ducks and sometimes 100+ BEI, Calls, Mallards and it has been rare to have one of the bantams win lately. More often then not you have something around here in largefowl chicken win the show.

I bought eggs from Jean Doerflin this spring and had great fertility. Unfortunately I had a bad hatch. My fault... One cockerel hatched and he turned out very nice. He has won his class each time I showed him and has been RV. (He did have a 2nd place also,) I also bought a pair from Pete Dempsy and the pullet was reserve of show. It was a small show but she beat a call that had been reserve water fowl at a larger show. Anyhow, there are some really nice ones out there. It is nice to see a variety of breeds of ducks winning champion water fowl. I raise calls but I like to see the best bird win and not politics.

Back
Top Bottom