Exotic/Hybrid Cats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Celtic Hill, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    I was wondering what people's personal experience with Extoic/Hybrid cats are? Has anyone ever owned one? Something I have always wanted to own but I don't have the time or resources yet. Some day tho.

2. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    I'd really like some 'exotic' animals one day when I have the proper time, space, and money. One of my top picks is a 'ringtail cat'/'miner's cat/or cacomistle (not a cat, haha). They have a long history of being tamed and cared for by miner's and other people in the past, which is just one example of why I roll my eyes when people insist 'exotics' are only ever a passing and modern fad. Ringtail cats are fairly tame and curious by nature, but I like various animals for what they are, and not all of the ones I purchase may be pets. Some find that hybrid cats are not what they expected, and may have problems with more wild aspects such as constant scent marking and spraying, increased climbing and clawing, harder and more frequent defense biting, etc. If you know what you are getting into and prepare properly though, I don't doubt they can be absolutely amazing pets. For example, servals and cheetahs are usually described as being more 'dog-like' cats, and often owners of serval/domestic cat hybrids will also report this difference.
    I'm not personally interested in hybrids, but I hear many people adore them for various reasons, such as personality and looks. I'd just personally rather have an animal that has a stable and reproducible line of genetic traits. Some hybrid animals and cats do more than others. Some are still a gamble as to what you get, but less so if breeders work in generations past F1s. Oh, and there are forums for hybrid cat owners. You might try hanging out there too a bit to see what people have to say about the various hybrids. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  3. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Im really really really drawn to the bangles because of their colors. I would never get one unless I could give it 110% of everything they need.

4. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
  5. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    My mom spent a Butt load of money on a purebred Bengal and a purebred abysinian. She has to spend a lot of money every year to keep up with all of their health problems. The abysinian is nice and sweet, but can't breathe through his nose and has to go to the vet every month to be probed for pollups. The Bengal is terribly cute but makes a GINOURMOUS fuss over EVERYTHING. she has almost clawed through the bedroom door because she doesn't like being locked out, and oh the crying! I can't sleep over when I visit because she talks so loud ALLLL NIGHT!

They're cute though, but her mutt cats are easier to deal with.

6. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:When I was looking into getting some polish chickens, this breeder gave me her card so I could come see them. Well I checked out her website to find she breeds polish chickens an wallabies! For 600 smackers I could be the proud owner of a neutered Joey. I can just imagine what the boyfriend would do!

7. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    I really like in your face, on your lap, kind of pets, and from what Ive been reading Bangles can be like that. I have a friend who breeds and shows singapouras, Im going to go to some cat shows with her and maybe talk to some breeders.

8. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:When I was looking into getting some polish chickens, this breeder gave me her card so I could come see them. Well I checked out her website to find she breeds polish chickens an wallabies! For 600 smackers I could be the proud owner of a neutered Joey. I can just imagine what the boyfriend would do!

Thats cheap! [​IMG]
    You could always tell him that it just magically wandered into the yard and ate $600? [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada

Thats cheap! [​IMG]
    You could always tell him that it just magically wandered into the yard and ate $600? [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:We have a boxer and if you are reading a magazine or the newspaper he will come and just sit on whatever you are doing so you pay attention to him.

Someone around here breeds those exotic cats and she has to have them in there own area or they will tear everything and chew the cords.
    She has to have a guard over the door so they don't chew it! She also has to keep the males seperate or they will kill each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by