Exotic Rooster Died Last Night

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SimsCK, Dec 24, 2010.

1. SimsCK

SimsCK New Egg

Dec 24, 2010
    My mother found her only exotic rooster dead this morning. I don't know what breed, as he was a FREE chicken from McMurray Hatchery when I ordered her 30 other hens this past summer and turned out to be her favorite. She's really torn up about it. He was simply beautiful. She noticed that he was a little sluggish yesterday, never came out of the coop, and he kept his eyes closed. We've experienced very low temperatures here in Georgia the past couple of days. Low 30's at night, and even 13 degrees last week. Could this have attributed to his death. Thanks.... a very sad son. :-(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So sorry for your loss, Chickens are very cold hardy but can't take drafts. That said what kind of coop was he in? You say exotic but he looked like a cochin bantam to me which he shouldn't have had a problem with the temps. Some breeds of chickens do have a problem with cold temps. It's hard to say what he could have died from without an necropsy which you could do or call you ag extension office and see if they can give you info on having it done. Sometimes these things just happen could have been genetic or heart failure, just guesses though, best to keep a close eye on the rest of the flock just in case it could have been a disease. what age was he and was there any symptoms other than being sluggish. Chickens can be sick for quite a while before we noticed they are, again sympathy to your mom and you.......................also sorry to have to welcome you this way but.............[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  3. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    I recently have been going through " mystery deaths" too and i live in south ga. It has been getting pretty cold but that is NOT the problem. or in my case it wasnt. I had one die on a cold night with no heat lamp. I thought it was the cold that killed it so i bought a heat lamp and 1 more died shortly after. Turns out 1 had gout and 1 had a tumor. The only way to know for sure what happened is to get an autopsy. it gives you peace of mind to know it isnt contagious to other chickens...

4. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    First off, I'm sorry you lost your favorite chicken. I agree... looks like a Partridge Cochin.

The cold alone wouldn't have killed him.... not in GA. I'm in TN and we are doing fine (though that all that comfortable). Keep in mind there are ALOT of chicken diseases that can go unnoticed to even the best chicken mom or dad. They are very good at hiding things.

Now, the cold brings out these issues they have been hiding for ages. It lowers their immune systems and they can't do as good a job at fighting it because they put their energy into staying warm.

If you want to discuss the symptoms he could have shown that would have not been noticed right away.... there are many. Slighty swollen face, green poo, sneezing, head shaking, yawning, lathargic, loss of appitite, drinking more heavily... only showing one of these might go unnoticed, but might point you to what really killed him.

I'm sorry again for your loss. I know it's not easy, but it is important to remember that "the cold" alone usually isn't the culprit and most things are contagious. For example, fowl cholera kills roosters first. I would keep a eye out on the rest of the flock for any of the signs above. Not saying I think that is it... you only said he was lathargic the day before, but just a example of how chicken owners must be vigilant.

5. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Sorry for your loss. I live in south GA too and it is freezing at my house. One flock of my chickens roost outside in a tall oak and they've been ok. I've tried everything to get them to go in there coop and the only time they do is to lay eggs.

6. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I have a I guess standard size rooster who looks exactly like your boy. He and a wyandotte roo are the only ones struggling. They are both huge beefy fellas but those 2 are just not coping well. The hens are handling it fine. I have a couple polish hens in with them and even they are handling it all fine. I think sometimes you just get one, no matter what breed, that just does not deal well.

Very sorry you lost him!

7. SimsCK

SimsCK New Egg

Dec 24, 2010
    Thanks everyone. I purchased 10 each of the Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rock, and Buffington Orpington's day old chicks from McMurray Hattchery for my mother. They were delivered the first week of June this year, so they are 7 months old. Along with these, McMurray threw in a free day old chick. According to my invoice, the rooster was a "Rare Exotic Chick," so I don't know exactly what type he was. However, he's NOT a bantam as he was HUGE and beautiful.

Along with the chickens, I purchased my mother this 6 x 10 heated coop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've invested a lot of money in these chickens and I want to make sure my mother won't have problems with any of the others in the flock. It was my understanding that the day old chicks were immunized prior to being shipped. Given these chickens are only 7 months old, are there any other immunizations that I need to have done to my mother's flock to be on the safe side? None of the other hens are showing any signs of problems. And I forgot to mention earlier that there was another rooster in the flock (even though I ordered all hens). However, he hadn't been aggressive towards the rooster that died.

Thanks again everyone. I love this site!!!! Very informative.

P.S. The hens are laying great! 20+ eggs a day!

8. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    First off, you are an amazing son and I hope my boy ends up being as giving as you when he grows up! Second, I am so sorry for your mother's loss. It may honestly be one of those "mystery deaths" that plague us all at some point. So long as you haven't introduced other birds lately, I don't think it would be disease...I don't think chickens need follow up immunizations but I could be wrong? Anyway, hope your mom feels better soon. I know what it's like to lose a favorite and it seems, unfortunately, to always be the favorite that we lose. : (

9. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    Yes, there are ALOT of other vaccines and some need boosters (or follow ups). You do not need to vaccine for everything if you don't want. And the only one that hatcheries give is for Mereks disease (which there is a booster for). There are ALOT of other poultry diseases. Far too many for the average chicken owner to even know about... that is exactly why people feel like "they just die" is a appropriate answer.

Honestly, prevention is the best medicine. You are doing pretty good so far, I must say. Never stop learning.... there is always something to learn about poultry health and management.

If the hens are laying great, they are probrably doing well... as far as sicknesses go. So that is good. Hens will stop laying if anything bothers them. They get mites, they stop laying; they get pox, they stop laying; they get a infection, they stop laying... you get the point. So them laying is a good thing.

Cleaning the coop regularly with a good disinfectant is a great start. Wild birds will bring diseases in... they fly in and out of runs and coops to steal feed and bring not only THEIR diseases like MG, E.Coli, Fowl Cholera, ect. BUT they also will bring other poultry flock's diseases in on their feet. Yes, their tiny feet. HECK! Infectious Bronchitis can be brought home in your clothes from someone you bump into at the store!!!

My point is, chickens aren't as easy as "set them out and feed them and they will be fine" - they actually are fairly complicated because you often can't find a vet for them like a dog or cat.

Here is a great starting point to really learning (and becomming your own vet) http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/Diseases_Of_Poultry

As for vaccines... Meyer Hatchery's catalog has a list of vaccines and when they should be given. Also there is firststatevetsupply.com which carries vaccines and they are very helpful in finding what would be best for your personal needs. Some vaccines are geared more at large opperations.

I hope this helps. No animal "just dies" - even if you died of "old age" SOMETHING happened. Your heart stopped, or you caught pneumonia, or whatever. Nothing "Just dies". That kind of thinking can lead to overlooking issues and inturn lead to a sick overall flock.

BUT! Your hens are laying, that is great. But learn... learn, learn, learn. If you know it BEFORE it happens... you'll be that much faster at responding when something does happen. [​IMG]

10. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    I lost a few of my birds to mysyery dissease

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by