Expand Coop = more chickens = :)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BellevueOmlet, Dec 30, 2010.

1. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I built my coop thinking I would be happy with three chickens and never need to expand. It is perfect for my three chickens but not for five; I want two more chickens. The run is 9' x 4' = 36 but is not all usable space since the ladder and food take space. The coop is 4 x 3 = 12.

[​IMG]

I think 5 chickens might be ok with the coop/run I have but feel it would be much better if I can expand as much as possible and still have it look nice.

Does anyone see this coop and have any good ideas on where/how I can add on to my coop?

2. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    Hmm, With the shed type roof you have, you could double the coop and run by building a mirror image other half, attached at the ridge (the current highest point of your roof). You could remove the existing nest box and use the hole to allow traffic between the old and new halves of the hutch, then mount a new, longer nest box on your gable end.

I know it is hard with words, but picture your current setup as half of a gable type structure - like someone sawed a barn in half lengthwise.

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Thanks, that is a good idea.
    I've decided to extend the run as a lower garden top roof run and extend the coop out 2-3 feet on the door side.

4. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

That is a nice coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by