Expandable Modular Portable Run Design (that can be used on slopes) Help

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kmpcfp, Jan 24, 2017.

1. kmpcfp

kmpcfp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    I need help. I free ranged without a problem for 5 months and for the past week we have been under constant attack by predators (fox, raccoon, hawks flying above). The girls are stubborn and now only return to the coop on their own accord.

I have my girls cooped up and they are HATING me right now.

I picked up some galvanized 2x4 mesh, 1/2" hardware cloth, 2x2 treated lumber, screws, heavy/duty staples. I also have some 1" pvc and other random wood floating around my property.

I need something quick that I can give them some safe outdoor space, but I want to be able to expand it in the future and/or
    move it semi-easily.

Did I mention I have absolutely no flat yard on my property?

I have some ideas, but wondering if anyone else has tried and true.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    My suggestion is to make multiple tractors that can be interconnected. Don''t be too worried if your hens don't have a giant astrodome. They will be fine as they wonder from one to the next. It may also be a benefit to keep rowdiness down if it is present. Small units are easier to secure on non level ground.
    WISHING YOU BEST [​IMG]

3. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    It is not an immediate short term solution, but long term, consider electric poultry netting. It will conform to uneven shaped ground and is the best deterrent for all your varmits, except the hawks.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Pics of your coop and the surrounding area would help.

5. kmpcfp

Mar 24, 2014
    Electric fence is a no go due to the kids. I ended up relocating the coop to a flatter area and made some 5'x 3' panels with 2x2's and hardware cloth, for perpendicular to the slope, then attached the 8' 2"x2"s to top and bottom of those and stapled hardware cloth. I am not done with the walls yet, I need more materials.

I have some 2x3 wire mesh for the roof and the bottom I will line with some more wire and secure with zip ties. I wanted to do a trench with hardware cloth, but there are far too many roots.

[​IMG]

In the future I figured I could unscrew the panels and move them or add more as needed.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  6. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts

How old are the kids? I grew up with electric fencing. Sure, I got zapped a few times (not counting all the times we touched it on a dare) but I wasn't scarred for life or anything.

7. kmpcfp

Mar 24, 2014

8. kmpcfp

Mar 24, 2014

9. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    That is pretty much the case with a whole lot of farm kids who grew up with electric fences. Ironically, kids can be the slowest learners. Animals and livestock give up a lot sooner!

To OP, kids of that age are a valid concern, but only during those times when they are out and about in the yard. When that happens, you turn the fence off. I have a 3 year old grandson and he plays near it all the time and hasn't been zapped by it once. The rest of the time, it is on duty. Day, night and all the rest of the time.

During those times when it is on is when it establishes the boundary lines and metes out a potent dose of negative reinforcement to keep birds in and varmints out. So much so the animals learn to avoid it at all times. So you can then go for hours on end with it off and the animals never know.

10. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts

Well, your 1 and 3 year olds will be supervised when outside and if kids and an adult are outside most predators won't be so just shut the fence off when you're out.

My mom did a good job of instilling a good dose of respect for the fence in us kids. She faked being "zapped" in front of us, complete with yelping out, shaking of hand, and crying afterward. It made her words of caution have more meaning for us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by