Expanded brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by akchick76, Mar 19, 2013.

1. akchick76

akchick76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Alaska
    So, chicken math struck before I even got my original order of six chicks. I now have 11. My original brooder plan worked great until the last six came in, so I decided the kiddies needed a playroom.

I started with a sterilite tote, altered the lid with mesh and zip ties. But soon everyone out grow that so I got a bigger tote, which turned out to be almost the same size. Then I remembered seeing some where on BYC where someone had connected two totes with a tunnel. That's it!

So now, the chicks get a playroom, with blocks for climbing and jumping, almost roosting, and plenty of room to pretend dust bath in the shavings. The other tote is for eating and sleeping under the brinsea. Perfect! They are having a blast. It will be hard to get them to go to sleep tonight!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    What I especially like, besides the space, is the choices they have in temperature.

3. Jo Anne

Jo Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Great idea

4. Shellz

Shellz Chillin' With My Peeps

Neat set up! X2 on the choices of temps. Should make for some healthy, hardy birds!

5. annav410

annav410 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Broomfield, Colorado
    I like this idea! We were thinking about doing this for our 9 chicks and now I have another good idea on how to connect the brooders.[​IMG]

6. akchick76

Feb 28, 2013
    Alaska
    They love it. They spent most of the evening running around and stretching their wings. It sounded like a high school girl slumber party. Then when it was lights out, they got their last bite and drink and snuggled all together under the brinsea. Perfect! I think that today I will hang a chick stick on the playroom side with a small bowl of grit and see how that goes.

7. QuietPony

QuietPony Chillin' With My Peeps

This is really cool! :)

8. akchick76

Feb 28, 2013
    Alaska
    Thank you!

9. Kay1993

Kay1993 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    Hawaii
    This is much more neater and nicer than putting two cardboard boxes together (what i did) [​IMG]. Lovely job!

10. akchick76

Feb 28, 2013
    Alaska
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by