Expanded my chicken run - new coop is next

rbreininger

In the Brooder
Jan 2, 2017
SW Wyoming

My wife and I expanded the chicken run today. It is an additional 4x4. We took the plywood base off the old area that came with it. The whole run now sits on flagstone. The chickens seem to love it. They were free ranging in the yard while we assembled it and when I threw the hay in they ran right in to check it out.

The old blue tarp and new cover should help with rain and snow and protect from predatory birds.

Now to start on the new coop. It will be 4x6 and 6' tall with a pitch down to the left. Plywood floor with sheet vinyl cover. Two windows, south (right side towards run) and north (towards workshop). A walk-in door on this side and outside nesting boxes on the north side.

I plan to install roosting bars on the east wall with a poop shelf with Sweet PDZ on it under that.

I wanted to but it wouldn't allow me to open the workshop door. I can't move the coop and run any further south due to a tree.

Working with the space I have. It will be improvement over what I have.

Thanks for the input.

Progress is being made.

The coop is 4x6x7 tall. The front door opening is 2' wide. I have openings on both the north (left) and south (right) walls for sliding windows.

I decided to skip the vinyl and go with Black Jack 57.

The base is on landscape timber skids so we can slide it into place when finished to replace the old prefab one you can see in the background.

Had to quit. Rain and snow coming in for the next two days. Spring in Wyoming!

Progress is being made.

The coop is 4x6x7 tall. The front door opening is 2' wide. I have openings on both the north (left) and south (right) walls for sliding windows.

I decided to skip the vinyl and go with Black Jack 57.

The base is on landscape timber skids so we can slide it into place when finished to replace the old prefab one you can see in the background.

Had to quit. Rain and snow coming in for the next two days. Spring in Wyoming!
I am very Happy with the blackjack 57 in our coop it is some tough stuff.

Keep us updated its looking nice.
Scott

Rafters and front panel installed.

After installing the panel, I marked the door opening, cut all the sides except the corners, then installed the hinges. Then cut the corners. Voila! the door is perfectly aligned.

After installing the panel, I marked the door opening, cut all the sides except the corners, then installed the hinges. Then cut the corners. Voila! the door is perfectly aligned.
Clever...does it swing well?
Will you add some lumber to reduce warping?

I used spring loaded hinges so it is self-closing and swings real nice. It notices the warping also and will have to figure out what to do about that.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom