Expanding coop

chickenbh1999

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 4, 2014
I currently have 18 chickens and want to have 25. So I wanted some opinions on what I should expand or just leave it as is. (The section of the coop to the left is going to be made part of the coop were the chickens can now go)

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I would think you could add 7 chickens to this flock without any expansion. If you notice some aggression you can add things to your run for entertainment purposes like ladders, branches to roost on, hang some veggies or put in a seed pecking block. You could always expand on your coop later as well.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

Welcome!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined the BYC "flock".

What are the dimensions of your coop? It looks pretty large in the photos. I would think that you can try just adding more birds, without expansion. Just keep in mind that in general you want each bird to have 4 square feet of inside space (though this isn't a hard and fast rule- some birds are fine with less, and others need more).
smile.png

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. X2 on that minimum 4 sq. ft. of coop floor area per bird (more is better). Also, you want to have a minimum of 10 sq. ft. of ground area per bird in your run. Again, more is better as overcrowding can quickly lead to aggression, fighting, biting and feather plucking, and even cannibalism. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom