expanding flock pullets or peeps best?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Turkeyrun, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Turkeyrun

Turkeyrun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Hi,

my DH has requested white eggs in addition to the brown and blue/green eggs we collect from my flock.

Of course any chickens added to the flock will need an introduction period before the move in. Are their any differences in adding purchased pullets or pullets we raise from peeps? Seems to me that peeps we raise would at least be familiar with us and it might not be such a big transition for them as they find their places in the flock. Of course purchasing pullets means getting white eggs sooner.

Also, if purchasing pullets what are key things to look for?

Recommendations please.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You can find point of lay pullets on almost any Craig's list.

Just keep them separate for 30 days and add to the flock.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Peeps are best, IMNSHO, because that gives you time to build the new coop addition and run expansion area. But that's just how my mind works with my over-powering procrastination genes. (It's a family thing.)

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Different things are important to different people.

With POL pullets, you know they are pullets. You won't have to deal with roosters.

With POL pullets, you could be bringing disease into your flock. Quarantine helps but is no guarantee.

Quarantine can be a pain unless you are set up for it.

Brooding chicks can be a pain unless you are set up for it.

With POL, you get eggs sooner.

With chicks, you can raise them to be friendlier to you. POL may be kind of wild. Depends on how they are raised.

Cost-wise, I don't know what POL costs you versus getting chicks and paying to raise them. Cost swill vary for each of us.

I don't see a lot of differences in integration between the two.

Good luck!

5. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    I think the integration will be fairly traumatic either way. in addition to the other pros/cons listed, I'd add that you might know more about the personalities the new ones will have if you get older ones, and you should also have lower mortality than with chicks. but the chicks are sooo cute and fun to raise. tough call!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by